Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power steering leak

UncleP

Montreal
Looks like my steering rack has sprung a leak. A search gives lots of info on the jubilee clip on the crimp fitting but it looks like it's my hard lines that run along the rack that have corroded through.

It looks like you can buy them pretty cheap. Anyone else replaced these? If so, any useful tips?

Here's the crusty boys in question.

Attachments

• screenshot_20210228_204103_158.png
    screenshot_20210228_204103_158.png
    771.6 KB · Views: 717
Try removing the feed and return lines to the rack so you can pull it out sideways, but if they're stuck, don't force them or they break apparently. You can drop the front subframe and replace the transfer pipes with the rack hanging from the lines. You'll need an alignment after.

The pipes I got from power steering store fitted really well and were £42.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Have ordered new rack lines and removed all the arms that were in the way so I can drop the subframe. Plan is to just drop the rack rather than remove as I've read that the high pressure lines WILL NOT budge, and at £500 I'd rather not ***** them up if they are still ok.

Did you have any bother with removing the old lines? I'm planning to cut the lines so I can get a proper 6 sided socket on the fittings. Just a bit concerned about the usual steel into aluminium issues. Wonder if it's better to use the ugga dugga gun.

When I did mine (crusty rather than leaking) I changed the brake pipe too with a porsche part. The design had changed - old one went under a bracket whereas the new one went over it.

Filling up with fuel the week before not one of my better decisions - the subframe holds the tank in place and you have to prop it up with a jack.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeilHarbidge
Back