Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche comparisons old and new etc. etc. etc.

Luddite

Indianapolis
I rambled through my thought processes in the forum almost a year ago, that ramble was based on memories of the impressions I held on some of the differences found betwixt old and new at a time when I had been running and repairing my own air cooled Porsches for a decade or more. The old at the time being a 911`SC when spending the day driving the then new 993. I guess I can update that thinking process a bit now that I have moved on from my rather limited 993 experience to recent ownership of a 991, all be it with quite a few lost Porsche years between...(-:

For sure I have prattled on about driver involvement being considerably reduced as the result of automated processes making ever more decisions and that I ever placed much of value in a somewhat RAW motoring experience, and in choosing Luddite as my forum I.D, it seems rather all to obvious that there may well be a degree of bias involved in my thought processes..? (-:

In the earlier mail I spent some time in admiration of the wonderful 993, and on climbing back into my old 100k mile + SC on the day, it seemed that at the time by comparison the 993 had lost some of the elementary driver feel, and thus experience of the earlier Porsches, the 993 was just a more insular driving experience end of..... But not really end of... for evolution will ever play it`s part will it not..and automotive technology as well as Porsche design has moved on considerably, let alone in the time span between my 82 SC and the 993 but also in the circa 28 years since I last drove the 993...?

Having sold my SC, and later when funds became available to go in search of a bit more involvement on four wheels... it seems relativity plays a large part in our assessments and being rather mature, that which I think is old will logically differ somewhat to that of a younger man`s assessment...? In that regard I went for old technology in the shape of my "old" crate, which in fact was built circa four years after my 82 SC, but it looked and drove more like a vintage machine as the result of it`s chassis and suspension design, thus when it comes to a raw motoring experience it could be thought of as a tad extreme.. (-: I guess the main thing relative to the "isolation" experienced in the 993 was that there was more driver involvement at lower speeds in the SC, and yet more again in my old crate..

In the aforementioned comparison mail I listed a couple of vids as a source of reference in support of my thinking on the value of driving a slow car fast, as opposed to driving a fast car slow in terms of driver involvement/feedback, which logic (?) determined was perhaps more fitting in the UK as it was circa 1993,a time when speed cameras seemed to risk growing like weeds, which it seems they have done since the 993 launch, not only those but the increase in the mix of dash cams, annoyed and envious motorists etc. etc. etc... Shrug.!

Yeah well my memory is no doubt biased and somewhat clouded by the mists of time, but happy to have a crack at adding somewhat to the comparison process, all be it I only spent a day in the 993, and have only managed a few days driving my 991 in just a month or so of ownership... The 991 like the 993 was to my mind a very smooth and curvaceous and a very pleasing design compared to it`s 911predecessors and the 964, and without the extra appendages of wings and things.... All be it I was a sucker for them myself when younger, still like them today, but as an old geezer driving an aero kit equipped Porsche is more than I can handle comfortably..(-:

For me the 991 seems to be a bit of a sweet spot in terms of fitting well enough within my personal requirements and desires. There is a whole lot of digital decision making going on that I have little to no control over which I guess can be both good, and not so good when making progress.... and which equates to increasing my ability to make faster and more than likely safer progress on any section of road, given the ease of doing so at speed faster than I ever could manage in my old crate. MUCH less exposure to the elements, lighter and more responsive controls and with FAR less effort in every respect, while generating higher degrees of confidence to press on, I suspect it takes more concentration, and is it fun, for sure it is..(-: While the combination of all that Porsche evolution has afforded, driving a fast car considerably slower than it is capable of on a race track, yet can still be regarded as fun on a "B" road and at no more than the speed limit for that road... Been there done that, though I suspect judgement as to what might be considered a "reasonable" speed for any stretch of road can differ and is where things could become complicated if one is not careful..?

The family turbo diesel barge has a fair turn of acceleration and speed, surprising roadholding for a 4x4, good brakes and flappy paddle box....for sure evolution has played it`s part there too, but compared to my 991... Well I suspect there is nothing I can tell you guys... As for my ranting on about Porsche becoming more GT`s than real sports cars... Hmm..? I take elements of that back in that I suspect the 991 and it`s water cooled predecessors as well as the more modern equivalents, would seem to be the sports cars of their time, and perhaps not as GT as I had thought them to be relative to my own experiences of earlier true GT`s such as my 60`s Jensen Interceptor when I owned that way back when..

As for RAW motoring I suspect there is still much value to be had in such an experience if one is up for a bit of motoring adventure, of course relativity and ones age/ life experiences seem likely to come into play when making such judgements.... Each to their own, and in my case I feel considerably privileged to have a choice of two interesting machines available to me at this time, and covering a rather wide spectrum of automotive evolution and driver experiences at the turn of a key...

Enjoy that which you can and while you can would seem to be a reasonable line of thought..?

Attachments

• perhaps_variety_is_the_spice_of_life_659.jpg
    perhaps_variety_is_the_spice_of_life_659.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 2,281

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back