Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 996 CD Changer & DIY Bluetooth Switchable Combo

911Heaven

Trainee
Hi guys,

This is a post, as I promised a while back (2014 actually!), that I would post the DIY installation of my switchable Bluetooth / CD Changer Combo.

Basically I was using a tape adapter (quite a decent one actually) to feed the sound system, and I already had a CD changer that I purchased previously.

I was picking up a fair amount of static into the Head unit with the tape, so thought Bluetooth might be nice.

I have the PCM1 (16 bit) on a 2002 996 C2 3.6. I love the sound system, as it also has the Bose Amp and Speakers, so didn't really want to change anything.

Anyway, the installation I dreamt up works great.

Update since I built: You can actually buy a Bluetooth tape adapter with built in mic for handsfree, rechargeable and powers on when radio on which is handy. Meant to be good - https://m.johnlewis.com/ion-bluetooth-cassette-adapter/p/1375109

May cause static too, may be not. I have also had the cable upgraded on my tape adapter, which should help with static, but need to test this.

You can also buy a Loudlink Bluetooth adapter which connects in place of the CD changer, and uses it's power to power on, giving a range of audio input options, and use of the controls on the head unit to control the music on the CD channel. It has a range of other functions controllable from the original head unit also. You can mount in the boot, behind original head unit etc., and it comes with a mic for handsfree, that you can locate somewhere convenient - http://loudlink.eu/webshop/fiat-blu...-aac-wma-flac-wav-player-and-usb-charger-c-7/

So, continuing with my solution. It works well, but you have to power on from the boot, but then you also have the CD changer option if you want, also a change from the boot!

Basically I used:

- A Bluetooth receiver within phono in. It's a rechargeable unit, and lasts a fair amount of time between charges.

- A 3-way switch for RCA inputs.

- A male to male RCA cable (to connect CD changer to switch).

- A phono to female RCA cable (to connect to Bluetooth receiver).

- A male to male RCA cable (to connect to the above cable, to then connect to switch).

Wiring at a glance:

- Cd changer via male to male RCA cable to switch.
- Bluetooth via 3.5mm phono to female RCA, then male to male RCA cable to connect to switch.
- Lead that normally goes into CD changer - goes into common on switch, male RCA.

That's it! CD quality Bluetooth and CD changer, all in one switchable design. Not perfect, but works.

In the photo, I actually connected the leads into the wrong socket on the switch by mistake, but just follow the description for the correct wiring. It's really easy and fast to install!

Other options as above:

- Tape Bluetooth adapter, sound cool!
- Loudlink (no CD changer required, uses existing cabling). Can't use CD changer however if you have one.

Thanks for looking and hope this helps!

Luke.

Attachments

• img_3870jpg_462.jpg
    img_3870jpg_462.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 10,139
  • img_3872jpg_150.jpg
    img_3872jpg_150.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 10,139
  • img_3895jpg_244.jpg
    img_3895jpg_244.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 10,139
  • rsz_img_3897_132.jpg
    rsz_img_3897_132.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 10,131
I don't need to do this mod but can I be the first to say what an excellent quality post.

echoing what was said above - really well done, great bit of ingenuity and great write-up + pics! :thumb:

@Sarfend @ Halcyon - Thanks for the great feedback! Glad you liked the post! Luke.

Further advance

This is a follow up post!

Been some time.

Here is an alternative solution:

https://www.elektronikidee.com/inde...iew=article&id=84&catid=18&lang=en&Itemid=101

Have a read of the features.

On this note (this unit replaces the phone module behind the PCM), ever since I bought the car in 2008, there has been intermittent GSM RF noise (beeping / buzzing). Worse on tape, best on CD and medium on radio.

Interestingly, this unit may cure it, but I did notice something. When I had my PCM power supply rebuilt, upon the unit being slid forward, the noise goes. But when it sits back in, obviously the closer proximity to whatever is picking the noise up, allows it to fire back up again.

Anyway - has anyone else experienced this intermittent noise? Is it the amp picking it up? Is something not shielded? Would a thin piece of some sort of shielding material be the solution? Or maybe the unit linked to above, may be better (it's located in the same place though, however the antenna could be moved).

Just wondered if it was a common issue because it's so annoying!

Still loving the 996, 13 years later!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back