Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Polybushed coffin arms - worn ball joints

demon

Nurburgring
Potentially/almost certainly stupid question, but won't have an answer unless I ask..(!)

The coffin arms on my car are all polybushed... the ball joint on at least one of the rears seems to be worn now after many, many thousands of miles - when I buy replacement coffin arms can my existing poly bushes be moved over to the new arms, or do I need to buy new polybushes as well? (if I insist on keeping everything polybushed)

I bought new coffin arms and fitted my old poly bushes to them with no issues.

but

I did use Spyder coffin arms and back then they had an issue with over side holes so the bushes were a bit slack but I sleeved them. They never admitted there was an issue and even told me they had never heard of an issue but offered a refund at the time. There were also other stories of them being oversized so what they was untrue but I think they have sorted those issues out now? You can buy them without bushes fitted so it makes life easier to fit yours directly.

Asked Spyder Performance if they would sell me control arms with no bushes - they replied with "Your polybushes won't be an exact fit like our own bushes" so sounds like they haven't sorted it other than to insist on using their own supplied bushes...

My bushes are all powerflex - is it fair to assume all poly bushes will be of a comparable density, etc?

I have powerflex bushes fitted too.

Going back a couple of years when I did mine, Spyder also used to fit Powerflex bushes to their arms as well as standard rubber and had both for sale as well as arms without bushes, I commented at the time that they would also be slack if they had oversized holes and would all wear prematurely due to this.

One other option is to speak to Hartech, they refurbish coffin arms so may be able to do you a set without bushes in exchange for yours?

One other option that I never took up was a tyre chain called ETS, I'm unsure if they are national or just local to me but one of their guys said they can fit new ball joints to my coffin arms as I had a spare set I was looking to modify.

Hi

Polybushes can be great but they are not a total no brainer at all times. They can wear if they get loads of road grit in them, and on a car like the 993 (I know we are talking 996's here) they can have a negative effect on the cars geometry under heavy braking and acceleration.

Just a thought about polybushes in general and a bit of a thread hijack so apologies for that.

Berni

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronn
Back