Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lower control arm/fork refurb

Alex

Nordschleife
I had an annoying knock on the back right hand side when braking & cornering. Afterchecking everything was tight and trying to find any movement in the suspension arms I was ready for giving up. As a last resort I though I'd undo the lower control support arm that bolts to the subframe and other end to the centre of the coffin arm. Once undo from the coffin arm I knew instantly the problem was the ball & socket end of this arm that was the problem.You could move the arm back and forth and feel the play in the socket end. New ones for the 996/986 are circa £85 for Meyle, etc. which makes it possibly the dearest suspnsion arm on the car. Anyway, I ordered a new one and fitted it last week.

I then got thinking I should check the otherside out. This was the same but not as much play as the RH side. Another £85 lighter but now 2 new arms on the back. So yesterday I thought I bet check the front ones. Once I removed the front driver side I had to do a double take, check part numbers and quiz some of the lads. It was bent! :eek: :grin:

Bent arm:

GUyBaIc.jpg

Checked passenger side and also had play in it. Without wanting to fork out another £170 I thought I'd strip one down and see what I could do. The seals ping off easy enough with a spring clip round the smaller diameter of the seal and the larger end is just a press fit onto the arm.

Once the seals removed you can see the ball and socket assembly:

mzSH4UP.jpg

k5Np1ss.jpg

I made a sleeve that would go over the side with the gold coloured ring and use this in my press to press that part (the outer race for socket) and press this against the opposite side of the socket using an old bearing race to sit against the opposite face. A good couple of compresses on my press and the ball and socket are nice and tight and like new again. The gold coloured race is held in place with the edge of the aluminium casting swaged over the top of it. Same again with an old bearing race to swage it a bit more and hold it in place. There's no reason why this also couldn't be done in a vice or even just a good solid tap with a lump hammer. I then packed the ball and socket with fresh grease and popped the seals back on. Arm feels like a brand new one now with the ball and socket as tight as my ****. I'll monitor overtime and see if I start getting any play in them again and if so just buy some fresh ones. If not, I've saved myself £170. Just wished I'd have tried doing this with the rears before buying 2 for the back.

All back together, tight as, with fresh grease:

MTWJ4oq.jpg

Whilst I was at it I noticed the inside faces of my discs were mullered so gave them a quick cat lick at the same time:

Before:

7PJtl71.jpg

After:

juZBrcA.jpg

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back