Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car still doesn't feel "tight"???

gizlaroc said:
It looks like you have 0.07º toe in on the front?

That seems far too high.

I would expect 0.01 - 0.03º front, 0.02º probably a good starting point.

I think you're on the right path here: I've got -0.01º of toe at the front (L&R) and 1.15º (L) and 1.16º (R) of camber at the front axle, and this works for me in terms of feeling planted and still responsive

Thanks all, will discuss the geo settings again regardless when it goes back to RPM in the near-future.

I think perhaps I have created crossed-wires, I've tried to explain that its the chassis, i.e the body of the car, that doesn't feel "tight" and therefore was asking if there were any other things I could do/replace/upgrade, such as like people have suggested - the subframe bushes and gearbox mounts. They're the kind of answers I was looking for....

I've recently fitted OEM-equivalent engine mounts, would it be worth upgrading these, for example to the RSS semi-solid mounts?

(Have already fitted the OEM short-shift-kit)

Thanks!

I doubt it as sounds like there's something wrong somewhere and recent stock OEM engine mounts aren't the problem. IMHO the subframe bushes won't be at fault, they serve no purpose apart from locating the subframe in the right place before clamping the frames to the chassis.
One cheap mod that does tighten things up if you haven't already done it is the powerflex gearbox mount inserts. I noticed a difference on mine as soon as I fit them.

https://powerflexstore.co.uk/porsch...ting-bush-insert-kit-996-1997-2005-pfr57-531/

s-l500.jpg

I've read this entire thread, and the thing that puzzles me the most is what is supposed to be meant by 'tight"

OP, can you describe the behaviour the car is exhibiting that you wish to remove?

Eg.
Too much understeer or oversteer?
Does the car not turn in how you would like?
Is it too noisy (I think I read 'creaky" somewhere, where is this noise coming from?)
Does the car brake in a straight line?
Does it pull to the left or right under hard acceleration?

Is this a road or track car?

I have RSS engine mounts and they're great, but not sure I'd bother if mine was just used on road. It's been so long since I had them fitted I can't remember much what the car was like before, but I do remember feeling a big difference on track compared to on road. It all depends how you drive really...

Thanks Alex! Are these easy to fit DIY with car on axle-stands or is it a more involved car in ramp job?

Thanks Roro, the car handles fine (I think), it brakes in a perfect straight line and the suspension feels spot-on. It's the rest of the car that feels a bit 'loose", Ie not rock solid like a modern car. This thread has spiralled a little, as explained in my last post I was just looking for little things I can do to 'tighten" the chassis up a little, like for example the gearbox mount inserts that Alex has suggested.

I might bite the bullet and just fit some firmer engine mounts anyway.

Thanks Alex, much appreciated! Sounds like the inserts may be a bit too much, how easy please would it be just to fit a new OEM gearbox mount?

On the Powerflex site there are rear subframe front & rear bush sets, have you any experience of these please? Are they a DIY axle stands job, or like the OEM gearbox mount would it just be worth fitting new OEM subframe mounts?

Thanks again!

To change the gearbox mount you need to remove the gearbox. With the inserts, you just need to support the box and undo the mount.

Thanks, worth a try then just fitting the inserts, if they're too much can always remove.

Any experience please with the subframe bushes..?

No experience with the subframe bushes. I snapped my rear subframe a couple of months ago and had to fit a replacement. Personally I wouldn't start messing with the subframe unless you 100% know there's something wrong with it. Once you do you'll need to have all your geo done again and removing the subframes is a right time consuming pain.

Thanks Alex, noted, much appreciated, will give the inserts a go though!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back