Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK Calibration (Clutch Judder)

JSP330

Looking for anyone that has experiences of a PDK Calibration being performed on their car.

My 58 plate 997.2 C2S is now knocking on 140K miles and I've been experiencing increasing what I would describe as 'clutch/transmission judder' when the car is fully warmed up and pulling away up any sort of incline, (happens both in 1st or Reverse). I can feather the throttle a bit to reduce but it's definitely getting worse (I've been in denial for a few months.....). I've also much more recently started to get some 'snatching' when the car changes to lower gears, say when coming down a steep hill towards a junction.

I had the '12 yr' PDK Clutch&Gear oils + Pan/Filter successfully performed over 18mths/8K miles ago. I did request a Calibration be run during that 12yr service but my Independent had never performed one before, and when PIWIS started prompting for DME & TCU software updates, before it would run ithe procedure, and it was late on a Friday, they suggested we leave well alone!

If anyone has successfully had this calibration performed I'd be interested in taking my car to an Independent who is more comfortable with the procedure.

So if anyone can recommend any 'PDK Gurus' they have found that would be great, especially just in case a Calibration does not resolve my symptoms, (I'm dreading it may be one of the clutch packs failing).

I'm in Bucks/Berks/Oxon area, but prepared to travel if needed!

Thanks in advance

Try RSJ Sports Cars who are a 911 uk Site Partner and are based in Slough.
About 6 years ago, they updated the PDK software on my car. I understood at the time that this update increased the MPH speed at which gear changes occur. This prevented the box changing up into 7th gear at around town speeds. The effect was quite noticeable.
I can't honestly remember if they re-calibrated the clutches at the same time but that does ring a bell.
My understanding of the oil cooled clutch pack is that the unit is designed to last the life of the car in normal use.

I had my 12 year PDK stuff done at RSJ in Slough and they did all the calibration stuff when they did it so can thoroughly recommend them .

To be honest i would start with a fault code readout of the pdk system .. make sure everything is within tolerances before just jumping on a calibration .

As yours is an early car and the software was updated several times since its introduction .. i would be surprised if it was still on the original software version... if you are the original owner from new then you can confirm this .

A calibration is a delete of learned values followed by a relearning .. this process has changed many times over the years but depending on the type of calibration a test run at certain rpm / mph is required to set the gear change limits .. this is what is learnt over time hence unless its still on the base software it shouldn't really be needed .It adapts .

You have a fault though so a fault code readout and a calibration are the first points of call before venturing further .

Worn clutches .. as with anything it's always possible .. i've not come across it so far but until something is investigated i can't say for certain .. im dubious atm but there is a limit on things like this so its possible is all i can say .

i've recently found out that many parts are available for these boxes which were not when i first looked into rebuilding these thanks to this forum so a garage can rebuild if needed which would be cheaper than an entire box ... IF it comes to that though .

The garage i work at is a long way from you and i don't represent them at all when i post on here so an Indy closer is best i feel .

Thanks for the personal recommendations on RSJ, they are nice and local so will be reaching out to arrange some investigative work.

Iain appreciate as always your sage advice! I've seen your other posts from way back regarding previous investigations in to potential PDK repairs/servicing, so I was hoping you would share some of your thoughts. Thank You! I will keep you posted on what transpires.

I've been doing a fair amount of research already and some of the 'repair' threads on Rennlist are both scary and fascinating, it does look overall like there are ever increasing 'repair' options so fingers crossed!

Hey there.

I performed a PDK Clutch Calibration on my 95k 997.2 C2S as I was experiencing low speed judder and poor reversing (I have PIWIS 2).

It is performed whilst the car is stationary with gearbox oil up to temperature - it won't perform the calibration unless these conditions are met. Then PIWIS drives the clutch packs a few times, lots of clonking as the controller relearns and recalibrates to account for wear of the clutches over all this miles.

Took about 20 mins and made a HUGE difference to my car! Judder removed at low speed, snappier changes (less slip) , reverse locking up better etc. As part of this it clears the 'learned' behaviours which no doubt helps too but that is markedly different to a clutch calibration.

Thoroughly recommend it on a high-miler and would recommend RSJ too 👍🏻

Update.

I chatted with RSJ today, very helpful so thanks for the recommendations, they confirmed that in their experience and based on my described symptoms it was quite possible/likely that a Calibration would resolve, (as per other comments above), but also that the first step as per Iain is to check for Faullt Codes, (which if any would need to be cleared before running a calibration), + if I need a software upgrade to the PDK TCU/DME/Dashboard prior to PIWIS2 allowing a calibration to be initiated. This 'update' pre-requirement is what I believe my Indy found previously when I asked them to do a Calibration as part of the 12yr service.

I checked with the previous owner who ran the car from a few years old and as suspected it never had a PDK software update under his ownership, despite being regulary offered by his OPC, as his understanding at the time was that this would 'soften' the transmission experience, (make it more like a standard Auto), and at the time he did not have any driveability issues.

If I'm honest what threw me a bit is that RSJ insisted that any software update I likely need should (could?) only be performed at an OPC. I'm not sure if this is more because there are reports I've come across of TCUs on the early PDK cars often getting 'bricked' during upgrades, potentially at a 50/50 failure rate.

Trawling the forums/YouTube I have seen a couple of things:
1. Reports of newer Diagnostic Tools like the Foxwell NT530, or Cobb Accessport being able to initiate a Calibration (but I'm not sure if this would still check base TCU software version first)
2. YouTube videos of someone updating their PDK TCU (and DME etc) on a 981, using PIWIS2, and then performing a Calibration:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN-G-J4teY0
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3qRHUIuR2E

Doing many jobs on the car myself already, and having experience of coding modules on previous BMWs and AUDIs (using software like VCDS), I'd much prefer to work with an Indy on the risk of re-attempts/debugging if something goes wrong during the update procedure, whereas my gut tells me I'll just get landed with a big bill at an OPC!

I think my next step is to use my iCarsoft to see if I can confirm:
- any stored PDK fault codes
- what version of TCU and DME software I am actually running, so I can do some more precise research online, and also when talking to an Indy/OPC.

Assuming RSJ are correct that I basically have no choice other than to go to an OPC for the software update, that blocks me from running a Calibration, does anyone have any OPC recommendations? I think I remember the guys at Center Gravity telling me that OPC Hatfield had a 'PDK Guru' in their workshop?

I'm not sure why you'd need a software update to run the calibration? Did your Indy actually try running it?

I certainly avoided the update for the reason that it softens the changes making it more like a standard auto. Sadly I do t have the car any longer so can't check versions for you.

I can believe that a software update requires the PIWIS to be online I.e. official OPC account etc which RSJ may not have themselves.

FOXWELL will allow you to pull fault codes etc but won't allow you to run a calibration - I have one of those too!

If you're anywhere near Brum I'm happy to give it a go for you if you'd like 👍🏻

Please read carefully ...

The first check is a fault code check .. you can do this on your Foxwell but it might not see all the codes , being well versed in different testers i can say this for a fact .. not all testers will pick up all fault codes .. we have 3 seperate testers including Piwis 3 which i use .

No fault codes and the next logical step would be a software update .. this seems from what you have said to be in the original setting .

Now then .. you have had this car for several years im guessing and only recently have you noticed it's not right .. so that indicates something has changed .. it may be that it needs a software up date or a calibration and this is the first thing that would be attempted ... i'm not sure though but it's where i would start .

I've not done a software update in 6 months or so and that was a separate fault to yours but it needed no calibration or road test afterwards other than setting the basic parameters such as throttle base setting , a/c loading etc .

Please .. Do Not attempt this yourself even if you get a tester that can do it .

Be aware this is a dme AND a pdk update as the two are done together.

A calibration reset may well do .. Porsche have changed the instructions for this so many times i've not been able to keep up .

Some Indys have access to the Porsche Network .. we do .. as such i would log on and read up on what Porsche recommends to do ..

The downside .. i'm NOT allowed to post info i have gotten from the PXN as there are huge fines involved for us if i do .. hence i play a juggling act on what i can and can't say on these forums .

In essence though .. we like an OPC would look at what Porsche recommend in this situation and follow the instructions .. this is where an OPC is a little bit better .. they have the backup of Porsche .. an INDY doesn't and as such im guessing most Indys won't really be interested in this sort of job ..

I've never yet " bricked a control unit " with this sort of update .. other models and yup but back at OPC with campaigns .

One poor customer was waiting .. then told car is dead .. be 6 weeks at least before we get an answer from Porsche !! .. i did that !!

To be blunt though ..... it takes a lot of time to find or fix this sort of issue which cannot be charged for .

My advice is pretty much like RSJ .. get an OPC to have a first look and see what they suggest .. Indys can take over if needed from there .

Yes my garage could do the same but your looking from January onwards for a booking and we ain't close to you .. hence OPC first is my recommendation and see what they say .

Best advice i can give .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back