Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ok, where do I start?

MagpieV6

Hey guys, please advise how it’s best to approach this mess!? My heart sinks when I see this peeping under the bumper, it’s awful.

Has anyone else tackled this? I’d be keen unto hear your process/advice on how to approach this. Many thanks!

Attachments

• img_7246_174.jpeg
    img_7246_174.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 754
Ice blasting maybe and then some underbody protection with dinitrol or similar :?

Or perhaps a careful spritz of high temperature paint?

I hate to tell you but they all look like that. Well all except my previous 996 that is.

I replaced the engine so when installing the replacement i took off the exhaust system ( cats, manifolds etc) and had eveything soda blasted.

I then painted the manifolds in high temp exhaust paint. It looked like a new system.

Unfortunately short of stripping the engine down and vapour blasting the alloy parts there is very little you can do to the engine other than Jizer and jet washing, which will get rid of any oily stuff but not the oxidation.

Best to avoid looking under your car :grin:

You can make that look significantly better using Muc off motorcycle cleaner,a stiff nylon brush and a hose pipe

Dry Ice cleaning perhaps? There are a few places that do it now. \there is a new one in Nottingham.

beat me to it

martin t said:
I hate to tell you but they all look like that. Well all except my previous 996 that is.

I replaced the engine so when installing the replacement i took off the exhaust system ( cats, manifolds etc) and had eveything soda blasted.

I then painted the manifolds in high temp exhaust paint. It looked like a new system.

Unfortunately short of stripping the engine down and vapour blasting the alloy parts there is very little you can do to the engine other than Jizer and jet washing, which will get rid of any oily stuff but not the oxidation.

Best to avoid looking under your car :grin:

Wait till your under-tray detatches at 180 mph because the thin studs rust away, and the garage says there known for that!!!!

Bumper and heatshields off, give everything a good clean.

As mentioned above check all the studs that hold the trays on, and get some rust converter on them before they're too gone.

Regarding the exhaust, I solved this problem with a cargraphic stainless system :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back