Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OBD2 scanner for 996.1 (with cable throttle)

Antza

My eBay obd2 Bluetooth scanner does not work my my 1999 996 mk1. It works with all my other cars. There are tons of scanners out there, but even the more expensive ones seem to stay that they work for 2001 onwards (European spec).

Can anyone recommend scanner that works for sure with the car? For example, would iCarsoft (standard or Porsche version) work?

I have a PIWIS2 clone, but between my 98 996 and my 06 955 Turbo, it paid for itself. Fully featured, like being able to see all current sensor and pot values for the cabriolet roof, saw me fix a roof fault for free, just by tweaking a POT until it's value fell within a calibrated range.

They're about $450 and you'll not get the software, although it can be downloaded and put on an old laptop for free.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/piwis-2-setup-as-a-virtual-machine.238021/

My generic bluetooth scanner

(like this - not this one but looks identical: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...ocphy=9045966&hvtargid=pla-562525957854&psc=1)

works great with my cable throttle car. I use it in conjunction with 'car scanner' android application. Might be worth buying another as I do know they are not all created equal. Excellent for logging all sorts of things in the app which is very useful.

I also bought an autel AP200 which is better as it will allow you to monitor cam offset (indication of cam slider wear) which doesn't appear on the basic OBD2 scanner. But the app is much worse and doesn't allow logging.

Both well worth having in the tool kit IMO, the autel comes into its own with newer cars where it can display a staggering wealth of information. Just a big shame the app is so average, but no doubt deliberately hobbled to drive people to their more expensive stuff.

Foxwell NT530 here as well, with the Porsche sw pack and the VW software pack.

Cannot own a Porsche withouth this. (or a MK7 golf)

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronn
Back