Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

new forum member- Hi!

GT4 said:
ChrisT70 said:
Nice comments thanks and im happy to take any advice.
Only question i do have as such not having driven one is which is more fun to drive the 2 or 4?have read somewhere that the 4 will understeer less out of bends? Im used to driving a mid engined torquey rwd car with Quaife diff and no traction control or assistance and no p/s. It will lift off oversteer at the drop of a hat and will power oversteer at will. I'm thinking a 2 might be more fun ?or not much to choose
?
Or big can of worms lol?

I would suggest you drive both (all four?)

Although that somewhat assumes they are equally well set up.

But to pull back the lid, I would say the AWD has better weight distribution (less front end bob, unless that's your bag)

Plus is gets red/clear indicators over RWD amber and titanium (silver) calipers vs black, amongst other things (WB get reds).

AWD get standard LSD (although this far down the road it is likely just ballast by now), but the ABD (traction control) will still work.

Both features were cost options on the 2WDs, standard on RS, GT2.

If Tip is your thing, only RWD offered it.

Hi GT4 - that's very interesting - does the LSD eventually wear out??

Outliar said:
Blooming ell Jonttt, are you full time as a Porsche nut?! Fantastic resource, not that I needed more diversions - this forum thing is addictive :grin:

I have a team of people helping me. In fact I've not given them much to do recently :dont know:

My PA has the cushiest job in the world, second only to me :grin:

993Type said:
Hi GT4 - that's very interesting - does the LSD eventually wear out??

Yes.

Allegedly, 40k miles is the expected lifetime.

Heck, never knew that. Do people replace it (is it VC technology??) or is it just accepted that when its gone it's gone??

Mines a 100K C4 and I've seen the AWD distribution cut in during the snow last year but don't really push on during fair weather driving. Didn't realise the LSD could be history.

Just interested if there's part of the car that's now being carried around as ballast!

On the same subject, has anyone decoupled the AWD and turned their car back into a C2 by eliminating the front differential? I know the C4 carries the weight penalty (and I've no intention of doing it) but interested if you couldn't find a dedicated C2 as to wether a stripped C4 would give you what you were looking for dynamically so to speak.

I'm not quite clear on your post.

You appear to be using LSD and VC (AWD) interchangeably.

You don't need LSD for AWD VC to work.

The LSD is a clutch based system (rather than VC)

You can replace (rebuild) or even retrofit (if your car did t have it: it was a cost option on the 2WDs, except GT2/RS, where it was standard)

☺
Thanks but i may just have snagged my dream car! A C2S!
More to come!

...... obviously you had a pretty healthy budget to play with .......:)

..... good luck and if it comes off I look forward to seeing some pics ....... it's de rigeur ya know ....... :)

Original budget was ahem slightly blown but i believe I've got a good un. Took some sorting and hopefully picking up on sunday.

Nice turbo

Good tips on these cars if it's a daily driver not much to worry about start up and get going just run it a few miles before giving it boost, on any journey that you've had a brisk flying journey let the car idle for at least 5 minutes at end of outing, it apparently dissipates the oil that's pulled into the turbos at high acceleration so no blue smoke at start up next time you get in.
If you have rear windscreen wiper either remove it or be really careful when washing as when you lift it up it can spring back down putting a nice scratch in the paint near to the rear window ( you have been warned)!
Get a boost check done to see if there are any leaks,loads of threads on how to do it diy. Keep front rads clean!

What the hell I'm not at silverstone this forum must have bug issues my post should have in the turbo section, my avatar all to ***** and I'm not from silverstone

ChrisT70 said:
Original budget was ahem slightly blown but i believe I've got a good un. Took some sorting and hopefully picking up on sunday.

I presume you are an expert at "man maths" then :thumb:

Looking forward to hearing / seeing more :bandit:

jonttt said:
ChrisT70 said:

I presume you are an expert at "man maths" then :thumb:

Looking forward to hearing / seeing more :bandit:

Err yes a lot of man maths were used lol! Classic line Insurance came up trumps at 308 quid Insurance fully comp with agreed value. We are all set now.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back