Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 996 Owner - Lots of DIY

jezgreen911 said:
A great read, looking forward to further updates :thumb:

Oh and garage envy from us 'laying on the garage floor/driveway tinkerers' :envy:

I can only admire anyone who removes a gearbox from a 911 when its on axel stands. I once removed and refitted the rear diff on a Z4 on axle stands, that was tough enough.

Having the lift certainly makes life 90% easier. Easier on the body / bones as well. I sure do appreciate its a massive luxury to have one!

coullstar said:
Some excellent work. Great place to live.

Will be over your way soon on a trip to Vancouver and Whistler.

It's a lovely part of the world. I also live in a ski resort. :)

Oh I do like a bit of diy. Check the coolant pipes are not loose particular in the LH rear wheel arch direction and at the front around the footwell area. The source of many rattles!

jakerade said:
Oh I do like a bit of diy. Check the coolant pipes are not loose particular in the LH rear wheel arch direction and at the front around the footwell area. The source of many rattles!

Thanks, yes I've been checking all pipes and fitting the last few weeks and making notes of what is loose or what clips are missing or broken.

Few more jobs done this week.

Fresh gearbox oil in. The only invoice i had was the oil was last changed in 2012 (and 2005). However, judging by what came out (below), it had been replaced recently! Not sure when as the car has not done much mileage in the last 2-3 years, but either way I replaced it with some fresh.

51954428397_b1de251df9_k.jpg

Coolant vacuum tool arrived today as well. SO easy using this this. I drained the system, used some compressed air and managed to get out approx 21L of old coolant. Then you vacuum the system with the tool, wait to check for any air leaks, then simply open the tap and it sucks all the fresh coolant in. I managed just under 21L, literally filled within a few mins. I will run the car the next few days with the bleeder valve open etc to see if it needs any more.

51955717654_74e580bb8a_k.jpg

51955417776_7133e311b8_k.jpg

51956007165_e4cc616989_k.jpg

The transmission jack I bought has been super useful as well!

Old stuff, ready to be disposed of at the local tip (aka refuse centre).

51956007160_5c2643ab12_k.jpg

Silencers off. Took about 15 mins in total. Albeit, no rusted bolts or nothing nasty and time consuming to deal with. Ready for some Gundo hack action. Condition wise, as you can see, they aren't bad at all.

51966360832_5b1da4b9d9_k.jpg

Last week I also managed to source of pair of silencers with only delivery miles on. These I'll keep as spares or in the event I want a quiet car again.

stuckmojo said:
Good stuff pal :)

:bye:

Silencers finally 'hacked' using 1.5" 304L. Local welder did the work for me and a nice job as well.

52015861234_7b8eecdd32_k.jpg

Finally got the car out for a test drive since I did all the work.

52007201184_d3a21ad723_k.jpg

Drove around for a good hour. No leaks, nothing fall off! I suspect some suspension bushings need a refresh, which I will do during the summer when its warmer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back