Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Porsche 996 3.6 C2 Remap Story

kinger1972

All,

During a weak moment I decided to investigate a remap for my 996 c2 (73k)
I fitted a top gear s/s sports exhaust some approx. 8 months ago, although sounded better wasn't to sure of the impact to performance. certainly didn't run a smoothly 'at low revs idle' as with the f/f system, but sounded great. Just serviced the car, inc new plugs and water pump 'recent leak' thought to myself, no better time to get remap done.

After much investigating and friends advice/experiences, I went to a company called mtech autos in westbury wilts. The guys seems to be very experienced and dyno/system looked up together.

This outfit were originally linked to quantum tuning, but recently started using top gear remaps.

I insisted on initial power run (at and additional cost) prior to any remap (pre /post results) great idea considering your paying for an electronic mod.
The first 3 runs only averaged 291bhp, which was pretty disappointing as the car has been looked after at no expense with full history etc (lost 10% from new) don't know if this the norm???

Summary of events
1st remap from Top Gear came back after an hours wait, loaded to the car power run was identical to the original in every way????

2nd Remap returned to TopGear who modified again, thought incorrect file sent. Reloaded to the ECU, Power run once again had identical result on both curves?? bhp / torque?? v weird operator was confused to say the least

3rd Remap (Quantum Map) As I previously discussed with the garage that I was originally expecting a quantum tune not top gear as per there website.
So once again I waited and finally the quantum remap was loaded.

Guess what the dyno once again duplicated the previous runs. no power gain of variation in the results????

The remappers confirmed that the car has never previously been mapped/factory std. All of the staff and myself were left bemused by the events witness on a wet Friday afternoon. The PSM was disabled via the switch only and abs warning lights were eveident when running, but was told it was normal.

I was pretty p***ed having seem to of wasted a Friday afternoon in wet westbury..

So I agreed to pay for the initial power run only at £54 and nothing else.

Drove the car back home 1hrs drive and the car seemed smoother more punchy, I don't understand how it can with identical dyno results (might be in my mind)

Any ideas as to what happened, the ecu clearly accepted the remaps but with no effect to dyno.

Sorry for 'war and peace' but its weird.

NA cars struggle to gain much extra power with a map. Seriously what can they change that will actually increase max power? Increased throttle response and a smoother curve is the most you will get. Glad you are happy with the improvement and at £54 it is a bargain! I also had my c2 mapped when I had it. Made sod all difference, complete waste of money. Had I known what I know now I never would have bothered!

RE The power off from new IMO 10% seems to be fairly normal from everything I hear people saying.
Very strange to see no overall BHP gains but I would suggest it felt better as the remap had moved the power curve so although no overall top end gains the usable lower mid range part of the power band had seen gains , although strange that the dyno showed the same curve. :dont know: but the main thing is your butt dyno sees wins and the cost nothing thats a win in my book :thumb: :grin:
I must say that again IMO but off the shelf remaps are not the same as a tuner tweaking your engine to get the best from your specific set up, how can an off the shelf allow for any mods you have done to the car over and above stock. There must be a difference between a £200 of the shelf remap and £500/600 tuner remap :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back