Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 Turbo maintenance so far...

Mat59

Monza
Guys, here's my maintenance history on my 2002 996 Turbo. Just had a big bill which has made me think about how much I've spent on it in total in the 2.5 years and 11000 kilometres I've had it.

Bought it at 127k kms. It was in good condition but had obviously been a daily driver for the first few owners, as is the case with these cars. I bought before prices and interest rose. All the paintwork is original but there is the odd blemish and normal interior wear. Had a PPI before buying which revealed a sound car in need of some basic exterior and interior cosmetic work, which I've been plugging away at (I won't include the cost of this here). PPI also revealed the car needed a set of tyres and pads/discs, which was factored into the price and done when I first bought the car. Since then I've done:

- CV joint replaced due to torn boot.
- Battery X 2 - it's hot here and these don't last well.
- Instrument Cluster #1 - oil level warning failed. Changed the sensors on engine (at cost) and was eventually traced to a bad cluster. Avoided a huge bill by sending it away to be repaired.
- Alternator - it was the original. Think the voltage regulator failed, which caused my second instrument cluster fault due to a spike in current. Was weak anyway so replaced with a new unit.
- Instrument cluster #2. As above, had the batt/alternator warning on permanently. Sent off cluster (again) and had it repaired at reasonable cost.
- Rear shocks leaking - replaced with OEM bilstein.
- ABS Pump - had all other possible causes of my ABS PSM warning investigated and turned out to be the pump. Ordered a remanufactured unit from Bosch. Half the price of porsche unit but still expensive!

I've also done a load of little bits like frunk and engine lid struts, new mats, spacers, wheel refurb, seat belt reel, new keys, interior phone delete and probably a few other things. Added a stainless exhaust. These were either inexpensive or unnecessary.

PPI and service history shows it had a recent clutch, various suspension bushes and engine mounts shortly before I bought it. I've been doing regular oil changes and drive with mechanical sympathy and make sure everything is warmed up and cooled down etc.

I only do street miles, mostly of weekends. Bought a Subaru BRZ for the track but tempted to sell and use the turbo; just concerned it'll get costly with more mechanical failures.

I'm assuming I'll be looking at rads, turbos, spoiler rams and suspension parts at some point in the future.

Not begrudging spending on a bit of maintenance on what was a very expensive car when new. Besides it's risen 50% in value which has made it a pretty cheap hobby. Love the car anyway.

Have considered changing the car for a Cayman R or 997.2 C2S. On looking at both, the Cayman R just wasn't a 911 but I am tempted by a 997.2. Not as special but a bit newer and quite fancy a PDK. Could just be buying more trouble though and going through a similar process.

How have the rest of you compared to myself in terms of mechanical failures?

I have had my car under a year, and I have replaced the both intercoolers and some check valves. I also had to replace one coolant hose. To be fair for the performance and age of these cars I cant complain. The intercoolers were probably the original ones that came with the car. I will also have to replace the front center radiator at some point this year.

On a side note I wouldn't have thought older cars like the 996tt would have increased in price in the middle east, generally they love new cars over there. Its good to see that there seems to be a demand over there for older cars.

I've not kept a log as such on my car. Owned this one 4 years and spent hours working on it. The usual rads, condensers, coolant hoses, water pump etc. Been down many roads and levels of tuning. What a journey it's been so far! As much as the missus dislikes him Nigel is very much a part of the family now :D

"Nigel" ? you called him Nigel ? that is a British Airways pilot (as anyone who has been in aviation for a while will confirm )

As with 911tom, I daren't add up what i've spent on mine. Engine out, engine in, engine out..... you get the drift.

Different exhausts, different levels of tuning, keeping on top of all the maintenance stuff as mentioned above, fault finding etc etc.

I dread to think how much I've saved by doing lots of it myself.. One day i'm going to get brave enough to take the engine out on my lift, but I'll probably have a trial run with the boxsters engine before that....

However, there's nothing at under £100k which comes close now for me, so I don't begrudge spending a penny of what I've shelled out.

:thumb:

I had my 996T for just under 2 years and did 10,544 miles in her.

My records showed that it cost me 75p per mile to run - that's for everything including tax, Insurance and petrol.

Sadly by selling it 6 months earlier than I should have done I lost £2.5k in depreciation but even so the total cost was still under £1 per mile.

Full story here => 2 years running a 996T

the other me said:
"Nigel" ? you called him Nigel ? that is a British Airways pilot (as anyone who has been in aviation for a while will confirm )

Lol yes named by two of my brothers. The story of exactly how he landed the name Nigel is not terribly exciting. However you know how a name grows on you... I can't imagine him with a different name now and really think it suits the old boy. Even more so when I finally get it back and he's drinking methanol and shooting flames out of his rear end :D

911tom said:
the other me said:

Lol yes named by two of my brothers. The story of exactly how he landed the name Nigel is not terribly exciting. However you know how a name grows on you... I can't imagine him with a different name now and really think it suits the old boy. Even more so when I finally get it back and he's drinking methanol and shooting flames out of his rear end :D

Nigel the nine eleven... Its got a ring to it :grin:

I calculated how much the previous owner had spent on maintenance by adding up all the invoices for 4 years prior to me buying the car, it totaled £40k!!! How he managed to convince his Mrs to allow him to spend that much on upgrades/maintenance is beyond me. Either way he is a legend :thumbs:

e92 said:
I calculated how much the previous owner had spent on maintenance by adding up all the invoices for 4 years prior to me buying the car, it totaled £40k!!! How he managed to convince his Mrs to allow him to spend that much on upgrades/maintenance is beyond me. Either way he is a legend :thumbs:

£40k! That was very kind of him to do that for you!

e92 said:
I have had my car under a year, and I have replaced the both intercoolers and some check valves. I also had to replace one coolant hose. To be fair for the performance and age of these cars I cant complain. The intercoolers were probably the original ones that came with the car. I will also have to replace the front center radiator at some point this year.

On a side note I wouldn't have thought older cars like the 996tt would have increased in price in the middle east, generally they love new cars over there. Its good to see that there seems to be a demand over there for older cars.

Yeah, they do love their new cars but the 996 tt has risen a good bit. Still cheaper than uk exchange rate aside.

Do wonder if maintenance would be any less on a 2010 997.2. Suppose I couple end up going through all the same again.

911tom said:
e92 said:

My hope is that since he replaced most things I wouldn't get stung with anything major. Fingers crossed.

e92 said:
911tom said:
e92 said:

My hope is that since he replaced most things I wouldn't get stung with anything major. Fingers crossed.
There's definitely some logic in thinking that if a previous owner's not had to change it, then you may well have to.

I had to stump up for a gearbox overhaul - 2nd and 3rd gears and sundry bearings and synch rings - which was a bit painful, but at least I know it's been done... The bloke who owned the 997 GT3 that was in Sports & Classic to have almost the same job done when I collected my car had paid nearly twice as much for his motor and was in the same boat. It can happen.

Normally though, I guess it's the usual suspects; rads, heatshields, clutches, plugs, coil packs to look out for.

Diggermeister said:
e92 said:
911tom said:
e92 said:

There's definitely some logic in thinking that if a previous owner's not had to change it, then you may well have to.

I had to stump up for a gearbox overhaul - 2nd and 3rd gears and sundry bearings and synch rings - which was a bit painful, but at least I know it's been done... The bloke who owned the 997 GT3 that was in Sports & Classic to have almost the same job done when I collected my car had paid nearly twice as much for his motor and was in the same boat. It can happen.

Normally though, I guess it's the usual suspects; rads, heatshields, clutches, plugs, coil packs to look out for.

Luckily the previous owner paid for the gearbox overhaul as well :thumbs: I think it also helps to be a bit savy about when an where you buy parts. For example the previous owner paid £350 for each back tire when you can buy it for just over £200. Same with radiators, wait for the sales to buy them if you know you will need to replace them in the future.

Had mine 2 years now, very little outlay in the first 18 months, centre rad, new condensors, clutch accumulator, new brakes (pre Spa trip, not essential).

Carnewal exhaust, again not essential in some peoples eyes, but something had to be done to the dull soundtrack. Heat shields replaced at the same time.

It's currently undergoing a clutch swap, coolant inserts, water pump, plugs, coils, complete oil (s) change, rear brake lines among a few other jobs. Will cost a few £'s when complete but a fair bit of future-proofing going on. The car owes me nothing due to the current market, rare position to be in. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bleasedudley
Back