Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Modified headlights and the MOT test

9xxnick

Spa-Francorchamps
This topic is now the subject of a thread on another popular motoring forum, and I'be just done a quick search of the MOT Inspection Manual online to confirm it could be an issue.

The manual says: "Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

This is in the latest edition published in January 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...ectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-1

For anyone with modified headlights it looks like a solution will need to be found.

Mine gen1 failed the MOT for headlight bulbs a few years ago apparently unless I had self levelling and headlight washers I couldnt use the bulbs I had , never taking my car to OPC for an MOT again as the bulbs had been in the car for years before and after and it never failed anywhere else. :dont know:

Here in Norway, road legislation law states that the lights are approved with the use of the original light source only. I expect this to be the same all over Europe.
An eager MOT technician might indeed open the headlights to see if the lights have been modified. I have experienced this a couple of times, and I now refit the halogen bulbs before I take my 993 in for an inspection to save time and re-inspection fee. Everytime I do this I am a bit surprised on how feeble the halogen bulbs are in comparison with HID's.

However, the Litronic and halogen headlight lenses are the same, so it is impossible to spot the difference from the outside.
The 993 Litronic system was approved without self levelling, this was not a requirement back then. I do think headlight washers were required though.
I am not sure if Porsche has a policy or requirements when fitting Litronic headlights to a 993 originally with halogen lights. I don't think they bother to fit the washing system. The Litronic headlight price is alone high enough to scare people away anyway.
Cheers,
Tore

Well, it remains to be seen what happens in practice, and the clause I quoted above was only added in January this year as I understand it.

No doubt we'll find out soon enough.

Mine passed last week. The HIDs have been in for more than ten years and never raised an eyebrow.

You would have a hard time telling them from factory. Also, not many testers have the time or inclination to go looking for igniters etc under the boot carpet or in the headlight unit.

Pickled Piper said:
Mine passed last week. The HIDs have been in for more than ten years and never raised an eyebrow.

You would have a hard time telling them from factory. Also, not many testers have the time or inclination to go looking for igniters etc under the boot carpet or in the headlight unit.
Same here, mine passed last week with V2 and Cyclops although n/s did need a smack before it came on.

as is said above unless they take the unit apart they will not know they are not orgingal litronics (if you have headlight washers).
i have found this to be the case for 4 years.

got to a local garage that values your business :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back