Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky''s 996.2 GT3 thread.

Re blower options I bought this a few years ago, there may be other options on the market now but at the time this was the new kid on the block and I think still one of the most popular options...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134751&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=147

re the member on here who has just jumped into Ferrari ownership, its definately for pleasure but not for me to say any more :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Hey Graham
I hope you're still enjoying yours. True about the jump. Things are fairly favourable at the moment.

All good Mark thanks. Near 10k miles in and off for a full on euro tour through the alps into Maranello after starting off in Le Mans for the classic.

I bet that GT3 is real fun on the roads up by you. I really enjoyed a trip up there last April.

Thanks Jon, I thought I remembered seeing one in your thread, so that has saved me searching through.
Is it good enough to dry the whole car? Some I've seen are only really suitable for door jambs and smaller areas.

Hi Graham, you lucky beggar. I'm so jealous. Have fun! :thumb:
I'm hoping to get out there in September but I think my wife just wants to fly somewhere. We'll see.

Looking lovely. I used to have to fully warm my GT3 for the emissions check on an MOT.
Doing the right thing to enjoy the car for the summer - you have worked on her enough to enjoy it!

Keep the updates and pictures coming - :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Thanks Jon, I thought I remembered seeing one in your thread, so that has saved me searching through.
Is it good enough to dry the whole car? Some I've seen are only really suitable for door jambs and smaller areas.

Hi Graham, you lucky beggar. I'm so jealous. Have fun! :thumb:
I'm hoping to get out there in September but I think my wife just wants to fly somewhere. We'll see.

Yes designed to do the whole car, I have the small hand held Master blaster for wheels and door jams.......but to be honest with the smaller cars (boxster and 993) I tend to just use a good drying towel :oops:

I missed those replies lads.

Yep Dan, I always have to get my 911s red hot for the emissions. As long as they drop in, that's the main thing eh. :thumb:

Cheers Jon, that's good to know. I haven't bought one yet but I will. The less paint contact the better.

Quick update with not much to report.

I've been using the car for days out and things when I'm not busy (which is rare).
Me and Mrs Marky were out the other day to some of our usual haunts around Northumberland. Inland to Rothbury, then back out to the coast to Warkworth then Alnmouth (pictured).

The car is performing perfectly. I still haven't washed it but it's not too bad, mainly just dirty wheels. I'm hoping to take it back to Michael at Lusso next week for a safe wash.

I did address one outstanding issue that had bugged me since I bought it. A harrowing tale of neglect that would massively affect the cars value....

Yep, half of my green tag was missing. :grin:

I'd read somewhere that you couldn't get one on its own but of course you can.
I also bought the little cap too as mine was missing.

All fitted. That should stop my eyelid twitch whenever I think about it. :D

That's about it. I might have a breakfast run out with a couple of mates on Sunday but I'll see. I'm trying to get my 205 GTi ready for an mot next Friday, so that's my focus at the moment. I'm happy to have the GT3 sitting there ready to use though, when I do get time.

Great, that you're finally getting a chance to use and enjoy it, albeit rarely. Like you say, it's there, ready to go whenever you want it.

Lol 😂 re the green tag. It's that level of OCD that really made me want to buy your old 996 C2.

Marky911 said:
I'd read somewhere that you couldn't get one on its own but of course you can.
I also bought the little cap too as mine was missing.

All fitted. That should stop my eyelid twitch whenever I think about it. :D

You're supposed to remove excess weight from the GT3 Mark, not adding. Think about the mpg :D You're doing it wrong. :lol:

Ha, thanks Marc. The devil is in the detail. :thumb:

Hi Yk, some things are worth that extra weight. :wink:
Catch up soon about the biking. :thumb:

So we made it out this morning for a nice run in the cars.
Headed across Northumberland towards Kielder, then down to Chollerford for breakfast.
There was me and my mates Paul and Sean, in the GR Yaris and Cayman 4.0 GTS.

Once we'd had breakfast we headed up the hill into Humshaugh as there's a small classic and supercar meet on the first Sunday of the month. A few nice things there, including a nice orange Pista.

So a great mornings driving and home by lunchtime. That's it for the GT3 for a couple of weeks I think. I've got the 205 GTi getting MOT'd this Friday and a new starter fitted as it literally packed in as I got the car running properly on Friday. :frustrated: :grin:
I've got a local classic show in that next Sunday as my dad is there with his car and it's nice to spend some time with him.

Oh, the GT3 should be going back to Michael at Lusso for a safe wash next Saturday if he can fit me in. Apart from that that's it, as I've a couple of intense weekends of house stuff on.

Cheers. :thumb:

Hi Stichill,
Yes doesn't it just. I think it's the camera angle to an extent. The Cayman is about the same size, but the Yaris is huge. It looks jacked up when you're stood next to it and the roof is mega high, like some sort of 'soft-roader".

Those Yaris' still do nothing for me personally but there's no denying how capable they are on the roads up here, which are narrow, twisty and have loads of bumps and crests mid corner to throw you offline. They do well for just 260bhp or whatever they have.
My mate Paul had one when they first came out but sold it within a fortnight as it left him a bit cold. He got the chance of another new one recently so took it, as his new GT4 isn't going to arrive until winter.
Like I say they do nothing for me. The styling isn't my thing, they have that 'boy racer" image (as does every hot hatch to be fair) and they sound woefully bad engine wise. But to treat one as an everyday appliance, they do a good job. Daily duties then totally capable on a proper drive out.

Just a quick belated end of year/new-year update to keep me right.

We managed a road trip last September. France, Italy, Austria and Germany. Just under 3 weeks.
I haven't covered it anywhere. I'll try to post some pics, maybe on here or maybe on its own thread.

It was a bit last minute. Two weeks from deciding to go, to actually setting off and I only decided to take the GT3 literally the day before we were going.

So before I headed off I thought I'd fit my standard air box back on, as I do think those un-shielded cone filters run the risk of sucking in water. My mate Craig on here previously had bother with an Evoms one he had.

So anyway, standard filter back on and away we went.

I'd like to say the car was faultless on the trip and it almost was, but that Alcon disc I had bother with the year before, came loose again, so they're for the bin. :frustrated:
It sounded horrendous. The most horrible knocking sound like the front wheel was going to come off. It was constant too, any faster motorway speeds would set it off and slower speeds through towns and villages had it rattling badly, over bumps.
I had it checked out by OPC Turin quickly, as I passed and also more thoroughly by OPC Cuneo too (I had no tools to self check) and they confirmed it was safe, but like I say the noise was very disconcerting.
Nothing worse than having a question mark over your brakes when you're about to start enjoying mountain roads.

So anyway on my return I removed the Alcons and fitted a set of standard discs. I'd bought them a while ago and I had almost taken one on the trip as I just had a funny feeling about that Alcon. Always go with your gut instinct. Nevermind.

Next up was another issue that had been bugging me since I bought the car. Every so often I get an engine management light saying post catalyst fuel trim lean, bank 1. It's quite rare but on the roadtrip it began doing it every few days, due to the more regular use I guess. :frustrated:

Over the years I've owned the car, I've fitted new lambdas and even added lambda spacers as we figured it must be the 200 cel cats on the Cargraphic exhaust upsetting the lambdas.
Anyway, over time I had gathered all the components to make a full standard system, so on my return the car went to Jamie's (Nelson Porsche).

It needed to go to Jamie's anyway for the brake fluid change I had forgot about at its service earlier in the year. So I just let Jamie fit the discs too and then he removed the exhaust system including manifolds and fitted the standard parts with titanium head studs (from String Theory Garage) and all new gaskets, etc.

We still aren't sure why the Cargraphic exhaust was throwing EMLs. As I've explained before though, it fits together more like a bike exhaust than a car one. The parts slide together and are held together with springs.
Those joins were never totally air tight, so perhaps a slight blow may have also been sucking in a small amount of air and upsetting things.
The mixture is always fine when checked so whatever they issue was, it was minimal/borderline but enough to upset the management light.

So that's about it really. It has been a year of inadvertently returning the car to factory spec.
The airbox and exhaust are all factory spec again (although I much preferred the sound of the Cargraphic exhaust, so watch this space)
and the braking system is all standard now, bar the SRF fluid and RS29 front pads which have loads of life left and provide amazing bite, so I've kept them on there.
I know strictly you should change pads and discs together, but I'm not going to bin a perfectly good £300 set of pads. It's worse to fit new pads with old discs. Not so much the other way round.

The only mod on the car now is the Manthey KW suspension. This will be coming off at some point though as I've a set of Ohlins to go on, off Danny on here. They've done 20-odd thousand miles, so I may want them rebuilt first (although most people I’ve spoken to suggest they shouldn’t need it) and I need to speak to Chris at Centre Gravity about the best spring rates. I want the car to be as nice as it possibly can be on bumpy roads. I don't track it so the goal is ultimate suppleness.
This will I imagine, mean raising the ride height a smidge which I'm not against but I don't want to lose the look. Yes I'm a bit vain like that, but I'm also getting more sensible as I get older and I want the car to be the absolute best it can be on bumpy roads.

So that's it, just keeping my records correct.
As I say I may cover my trip in the roadtrip thread or I might stick it in here. It's to do with the car obviously, but I don't want to fill this thread with holiday snaps as it's a maintenance log really.

Anyway, that's all for now. Cheers. :thumb:

Oh I'll end with one pic from a great morning on our trip.
Up before dawn to drive the Grossglockner pass in Austria. A great road and it was totally empty at 6am.
We timed it perfectly for sunrise as we got to the top.

Once we got back off our trip, we were into October, so I sent the car back to Michael at Lusso for a post roadtrip/pre-winter clean.

On it's return I took it down to the car storage facility I use and dropped it off for winter. I doubt I'll get it out until 1st May as I've loads of DIY on until then plus I've got my old bangers that need fettling. 😁

On the plus side I could now squeeze my 205 and my R1 into the GT3s Carcoon.

Cheers. :thumb:

Last edited:
Jealous of your road trips, everytime I get out to Europe on holiday all I can think off is how good it would be to do a road trip, sadly Im the only one in the family that thinks like that.

Car looking ace as always, 996 seems to be getting more and more popular as well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back