Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locked out of the car

Shurv

Mexico City
I am currently locked out of my 996C4S, it is in sleep mode but the key won't open the car. The battery and key fobs are fine, the car is asleep but I can't open it with the key for some reason, a new lock was fitted recently (not by me) and I suspect not checked that the key opened the door afterwards. Even if the battery was flat the key should open the door, it doesn't.
I can't get access to the boot to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to get the fobs working as I can't get the arch liner off without removing the wheel, I can't remove the wheel as the locking wheel nut is in the boot. I am not therefore able to get to the emergency cable to open the boot. Happy days.
If I can get the RAC to get the door open I can open the boot in the normal way and I assume I can disconnect the battery, re connect it to reset the sleep mode? Once I can operate the car I'll be taking it back to the workshop and get them to sort the key/lock situation for correct fitting etc.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Oh crap that's a catalogue of disasters. :frustrated:

If you jack the car up on the OSF jacking point you might be able to get enough access around the front wheel with suitable (stubby!) tools to drop the front archliner and access the boot release cable.....?

Would probably be my last/only "hailmary" attempt before opting to get the RAC out

I'm not familiar with the 4s front bumper but if you don't have mesh fitted could you get between the bumper cover and rad shroud to try and get to the release wire :?:

When I take my front bumper off I take the liners off first with the wheels still on, normally I have it on ramps but I'm sure I've done it with the car on the ground when I didn't have my ramps. Seem to remember it was tricky and I used a torx bit with a small adjustable to get in the tight gaps

So the key turns in the lock, but the door doesn't open either way?

The lock is not part of the latch mechanism, but maybe they fitted a right hand latch mechanism from a LHD car.

Turning the key one way (I think clockwise) normally wakes mine up from sleep. The other way sets the alarm off, but unlocks it.

YPVS said:
So the key turns in the lock, but the door doesn't open either way?

The lock is not part of the latch mechanism, but maybe they fitted a right hand latch mechanism from a LHD car.

Turning the key one was (I think clockwise) normally wakes mine up from sleep. The other way sets the alarm off, but unlocks it.

Yes I recently figured this out too, key in the drivers door and turn anticlockwise awakens the car, so that it can be unlocked on the fob without setting the alarm off.

Couldn't find the cable in the normal place but with the wheel in situ it isn't easy to get access so between me and the RAC man we managed to find the cable under the front of the car and tugged on it until the boot popped. Disconnected the battery, re connected it and the fob worked. So I can now access and drive the car as normal. The key does nothing when turned in the lock, so it's back to the guys that fitted the new lock last month to see what they forgot to connect on reassembly.

All fixed.The dealer has now connected everything properly and all is well.

Shurv said:
Couldn't find the cable in the normal place but with the wheel in situ it isn't easy to get access so between me and the RAC man we managed to find the cable under the front of the car and tugged on it until the boot popped. Disconnected the battery, re connected it and the fob worked. So I can now access and drive the car as normal. The key does nothing when turned in the lock, so it's back to the guys that fitted the new lock last month to see what they forgot to connect on reassembly.

I had this a year or so ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get lucky with the battery connecting / disconnecting trick.....

49038288571_cd5bc00c51_c.jpg

It really, really sucked.

You can actually release the bonnet catch with a screwdriver placed directly on the latch and a little tap with a hammer. Had to do this when I locked the key in the luggage compartment and then found the release cable to be jammed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back