Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jag F-Type preview, Competition for Porsche?? NEW Coupe !!!

infrasilver

I was invited to the preview event last night and thought the new F-Type is a great sounding and looking car they still look heavy to me when comparing with the 911 or 981. I've got a test drive booked to compare it from the time I drove the 991 and 981 back to back.

They have given it a line up of engine packages V6 and V8 which I suppose gives them one car to compete with 2 cars that Porsche build, I'm not sure if it competes with any of them, I see it being a lot more of a cruiser than and out and out sports car. I'll find out soon.

Boot space is shocking for a 2 seater, front engine rear drive car, I was expecting more, my 996 has about the same and I have back seats, the Boxster has much more. Interior was plush.

The main clientele there last night was suited up, I think I was the only one in a t-shirt, so they may be barking up the wrong tree trying to get a new breed of buyer through the door at Jaguar, most of the people I spoke to were dyed in the wool Jag men.

After I left the Jag showroom I could see a car in my mirrors looking like it was trying to catch up, as I came off the slip road from the dual carriageway I saw it was the demo car from the showroom that had only been revving up outside and not taking rides, as it pulled along side at the lights I wondered if they had seen me leave and then gave chase??

One other thing I notice was a couple of large oil spots under the car, (see photo yellow highlight oval) looked like it was coming from the diff or maybe a rear gearbox ala 968, do all Jags leak oil, even on a preview night when they are trying to sell it?

In short I don't see it taking many customer away from Porsche even though I'm sure they are aiming for their customers, what do you think?

Infrasilver, can't recall but does it have any stand out tech ?

or is it the looks and sounds that they talk about??

Seen the reviews and the V6 models are priced to avoid 911's IMHO, although spec a Boxster S with all the toys and you're at the same price level as the base V6

I've seen the car in the flesh, not too keen on the just 2 seats and IMHO the car is tiny for where it is n the market place !

but if you consider the lack of success of the old XK series which was more like a 2 door saloon, they had to to try something different

Last XK series was hopeless and having driven the S and RS, it reminded me of the 8 series BMW and how that completely missed the mark, with the regular 5.0 V8 models only outdoing Alfa on horrific depreciation

although I'm led to believe they have done another fine job packing up the old XK base and tech in this new shape

still a good looking 2 seat sports car, with a lot of competition, that is really not a 911 but rather the

- BMW 6 series (fro £66k)
- Mercedes SL (from £72k)
- Boxster S (from £48k, but you try spec'ing one for less than £53k!)

should do well and Jaguar deserve (need) a successful sports coupe in their range

2013-04-25-1096_zpsca3a7687.jpg

That rear is atrocious :eek:

It reminds me of some lackadaisical kit-car convertible or something French.

Re: Jaguar F-Type preview, Snapping at the heels of Porsche?

infrasilver said:
The main clientele there last night was suited up, I think I was the only one in a t-shirt, so they may be barking up the wrong tree trying to get a new breed of buyer through the door at Jaguar, most of the people I spoke to were dyed in the wool Jag men.

The irony being that, you were probably the the future of Jaguar that they need.

I can see it now, "Infrasilver Brand Ambassador for Jaguar"

Jaguar need to so what Audi have done, the styling is there, they just need some more models (that dont cost so much!)

Just got back from the new F-Type Coupe preview evening and I'm actually quite impressed with the looks of this over the Cabriolet, has a bit of the E-Type in the rear end. It has a boot too (as I was demonstrated to) which will fit golf clubs :shoot: in plus luggage. The interior with it fully specced out was nice. The electronic rear spoiler looked like a painted plank of wood not as nice as the Cabriolets.

Few Pics of the rear as the front has been seen before.

F-type

I think it's a lovely looking car.
Competition for the 991? Not really, because of the seating. The 911 has always had the advantage of 4 (2+2) seats and still retaining a relatively small exterior and sports car feel. All the other "competitors" are larger and lose the sports car feel for a GT driving experience.
The only way anybody will compete, is to make a car with the engine in the rear, something I don't see happening as it is fundamentally a "wrong" design.
The fact that Porsche have manufactured/perservered with a car that defies the laws of physics is testament to their superb engineering.
No manufacturer with a blank canvass would start with a rear engine design.

China is the new market, so if Jag can sell the F-type there, at a ridiculous profit, then it will be a success. A manager at Land Rover told me they cannot build enough Range Rovers to supply Chinas needs.(at virtually twice the price they sell here)
If they are successful, then hopefully they will design a car from scratch and not have to look in the parts bin every time.

I think I'll have one of these in 3 or 4 years time.

I use the term 'I' loosely as my hope is that ,as the missus also likes it, I might get away with keeping whatever 911 I have when that time comes and getting her to buy one.

:grin:

I looked at the Convertible at Christmas and was underwhelmed. The Coupe though looks the business. I think its aimed at an older crowd, its not competition for the 911 crowd. I fancy one in a few years time.

I fell in love with a black V8 Coupe on 20" wheels today.

It looked absolutely stunning from every angle, in a way that the convertible just doesn't.

Just sitting in it gave me that ......... one day :cloud9: ... feeling that I haven't had since I first sat in a 996.

Monkey drives the F type coupe. I think he likes it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back