Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the clutch on my 996 C4 on its way out?

stupidget

Silverstone
As the title suggests I'm wondering if my clutch is on it's way out. The clutch itself feels pretty heavy, but is that just because this how the clutch feels on a sports car? The only manual car I've driven in the past 4 years is my wife's Fiat 500. The gear change is fluid enough, the biting point is just after the halfway point, it doesn't feel like it's slipping, there is no increase in revs after releasing the clutch and there is no juddering between gears, it's just that the clutch feels heavy to press down.

I've read something about the 996 having a clutch assist spring that some people have removed, or that the clutch fluid could need replacing so just wonder if it's anything like that?

Has anybody else had the same experience?

Would I be right in thinking that having a new clutch and flywheel fitted at an indy would be ~£1500?

BTW - Car has just rolled over to 80k miles and I'm assuming that this is the original clutch.

Definitely a heavier clutch pedal than a Fiat 500 - I don't think you've got much to worry about there, as there's no abnormal behaviour.

I wouldn't describe the clutch as being heavy on my car or any of the others I test drove before buying.

I've seen posts on some other forums where people recommend a mod to remove the assist spring, & swear it improves the pedal feel. Personally I'm not sure it's better without, but it's certainly different & it will make the pedal a lot heavier, but still manageable in traffic.

I temporarily removed mine while troubleshooting an issue. It's fairly easy to do, but a bit fiddly to get access under the dash. You might want to do a quick visual check on yours to see if a previous owner had removed it.

The diagram in the 1st link below gives you an idea where to find it, note you'll need to push a rod/screw/something into the hole at the end before you remove it, to ensure the spring doesn't fly out.

https://www.renntech.org/topic/33177-broken-clutch-power-spring/
https://members.rennlist.com/jandreas/Clutch Pedal Noise.pdf

A heavy clutch is not unusual on older clutches .. it's the cover plate ..

Occasionally it can be the booster spring but it would need to be broken and they normally make a clicking noise if they are ... there are x2 springs in it and one breaks ... always worth replacing first though as it's the cheaper alternative .

My feelings are for a clutch replacement though .

New clutch and the downside is you almost push your foot through the floor as it takes a while to get used to how light it is lol .

Heavy clutch is with age. Live with it until you need a new one. Just think of the exercise.

Whenever I get in a modern manual runabout I nearly put my foot through the firewall when I engage the clutch for the first time. I've got a brand new clutch and it is significantly heavier than a fiat 500 etc. If it's not slipping I think you should be fine.

My clutch was replaced about 20k miles ago and it's light to operate, only being moderately heavy to continuously hold down.

I recently replaced the transmission mount and looking at the remaining bolts needed to remove and lower the gearbox, I would not be apprehensive in changing the clutch when the time comes. If you have moderate home mechanic skills and the access and tools to drop the gearbox, it's not as difficult as some people make out.

A heavy clutch is a sign that the clutch is on its way out!

You will find that the clutch will only get heavier as time goes by. If it is noticeably heavy then it is too heavy. The joy of driving a Porsche is the driving experience by the feel of the controls and anything that spoils that will become a major irritant, particularly if you are doing a lot of City / Town driving.

I have recently been test driving a number of new and secondhand Porsches and none of these had clutches that were noticeably heavy or heavier than my wife's mini for example.

I think you should check for the booster spring in case it is missing - it could be an easy fix.

80K is a big mileage for a clutch and a replacement could be a good 'upgrade' of the driving experience. Remember to check the IMS bearing if you go the replacement route.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back