Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Intro - and new engine mounts

djguru

Hi all – bit of an introduction to my car, which I've now had for a few months. It's a 2001 C2, MY2002 with just over 60k on the clock. From the codes it's a market launch/dealer demo car, with factory-fitted side skirts.

First thing to do was to change what I felt were comedy-size 19" wheels back to 18" and then start looking at other bits that might need attention. As there was no record of the engine mounts ever being addressed I thought it was driveway do-able and completed it last week.
What is suggested as a sub-60mins job ended up taking me around 3.5hrs, mainly as the existing nut was not letting go from the mount shaft, it was well and truly corroded on and wouldn't break free even with an impact wrench. So I ended up using a Dremel to partially cut through the side of the nut toward the threads, which seemed to 'break' the bond and finally allow it to spin off.

I was happily surprised this could all be done with the car on the ground – no need for axle stands.

I put on standard Rein mounts (purchased from RockAuto) and used a couple of titanium nuts for future corrosion protection – I'll also spray a bit of ACF-50 on it in the next day or so.

There was a bit of sag in the old mounts, my initial feeling is that everything is now a bit 'tighter' (super-technical description) and the replacements were well worth the effort.

Next step is to remove the front & rear arch liners and see what horrors I suspect may be lurking, ably assisted by the side skirt...

Dave

Attachments

• mount_old_v_new_209.jpg
    mount_old_v_new_209.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 830
  • mount_nut_793.jpg
    mount_nut_793.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 830
  • 9962_135.jpeg
    9962_135.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 830
I did my engine mounts a couple of months ago, like you I went for the Rein mounts from Rock Auto (they're OEM mounts). Great price from Rock Auto and made a huge difference to the feel of the whole car and especially the gear change. I've also been going round all the wheel arch liners and replaced the fixing screws with stainless self tappers where possible, old fixings were rusted to hell.

Welcome onboard and nice car!

Mark

Thanks Mark, it was probably your thread that prompted me to source from RockAuto. I've been reading the various refurb reports on here re. arches and liners so I'll get stuck in shortly
The wheels in the pic are the 19" that i swapped out for 18" 5-spokes.

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newbieporsche
Back