Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS Bearing. To Change or Not To Change (Hear me out)

martin t said:
You have to change it.

You cannot go that far and leave that item off.

The issue is what to change it for.

Especially as your wife is driving it! Do they do a triple row bearing :grin:

For god sake, don't tell the wife about the IMS bearing. :eek: :grin:

Don't eps don't a dual row replacement kit?? Thought they did but may be wrong.

jond58 said:
Don't eps don't a dual row replacement kit?? Thought they did but may be wrong.

They do a cylindrical bearing replacement. Over £400 to replace a perfectly good bearing is a little hard to swallow.

Would be so much simpler if there was a straight dual row replacement.

If there's nothing wrong with the one that's in then your dilema is resolved. Ball Bearings aren't like tyres that only have so many revolutions before they're worn out.

Alex said:
If there's nothing wrong with the one that's in then your dilema is resolved. Ball Bearings aren't like tyres that only have so many revolutions before they're worn out.

Actually, they are. Bearing life in hours is dictated by load and number of revolutions, but in our case even a "moderately" sized bearing will appear to have infinite lifetime as the number of revolutions in cars is relatively small due to intermittent use.

My opinion is that if the OP already has the engine out for other major internal work I would do the IMS bearing as well.

As stated before - do it to what?

Alex said:
rgracin - You may want to have a read of this thread before making any decision:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=141208

& the failure post:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=141208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=58

infrasilver has rebuilt many engines and I think he's on something like his 3rd rebuild of his 996 now due to his ims bearing failing (this time). He replaced the bearing last time he rebuilt it.

Makes an interesting read, thanks. I can seek some solace in that infrasilver's was a single row (you have to take it where you can right?).

Had a chat with bearing supplier who supplies a race engine company a friend worked at. He's looking into what's available for me. I still have reservations around the existing bolt/post, even more so having read that thread. Do you know if Harlech will sell just a post?

Don't know, you'd have to as them. Give them a call - they're excellent to deal with and help you where they can. I know they've said there's no alternative dual bearing available that fits the 3.4 and Baz says he's searched everywhere.

I've fixed the link in my above post, wouldn't that work as a replacement for the dual row bearing? Better than the single row option I think.

That's the type of bearing I've been looking at. It's a standard size, but there are many different specifications of the 'same" bearing.

I'm also thinking of seeing if an engineering firm can machine up an updated bolt without the o ring groove. Looking at pictures of upgrade kits, it looks like the end of the IMS cover is chamfered on the internal diameter to accept an o ring on the very end rather than inside ( if that make sense).

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back