Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How flat is ''flat'' for measuring oil level?!

MeltonMowbray

Trainee
I've been doing some bits & pieces on the 997 while waiting on diagnostic reader to arrive (see airbag light thread!)

Recently I've inherited a different parking spot with a slight slant - driver side a little lower than passenger. I even took a spirit level out - bubble is about half over the line.

Checking the oil it says it is low - previously it was flirting between the minimum and 1 big bar full.

Is it worth popping 400ml in? Or take a reading somewhere else?

As it's saying it's possibly low I don't want to drive it for the sake of it, plus with the air bag light on I want to minimise mileage.

How disastrous is a slight over filling?!

Just park your car the other way around (180 degress) and check it again.

Alex said:
Just park your car the other way around (180 degress) and check it again.

Sounds obvious when you say it like that :D

Did this and readout was two bars (so one down from maximum). Last night (facing/tilting the other way) it was flashing the bottom bar.

Reasonable to leave it, or would you be topping up?

Digital dipsticks - not great!

Top up.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back