Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Home made

I spent about 5 hours yesterday trying to run the roof back to save it from the fish eye with decent results. I'll see what it looks like outside but inside and and under an led inspection lamp it looks pretty decent. I had a patch on the quarter panel in front of the arch and I have this where I'm happy with it. I practiced on the roof as I was prepared to paint it again anyway but I didn't want to do the side again.

All in all it should be presentable. Not immaculate or show worthy but a decent finish on a very usable car. Still needs more polishing but it's ok for now

Attachments

• cdb8a36b_71c8_4c0f_8cff_041e6dff63ab_709.jpeg
    cdb8a36b_71c8_4c0f_8cff_041e6dff63ab_709.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,817
Great work. It's always encouraging to see someone doing a project of this magnitude on jack stands in a single garage. I have to do the same and I feel it forces you to be inventive.

Keep the progress pics coming.

UncleP said:
Great work. It's always encouraging to see someone doing a project of this magnitude on jack stands in a single garage. I have to do the same and I feel it forces you to be inventive.

Keep the progress pics coming.

Thanks. I'll not lie, the lack of space and a lift is a major ball ache. Or in my case back ache as I have a bulging disc in my back that slows my progress now and again.

If you think the cars worth it then get stuck in.

It's not gona fix itself :thumb:

Great work you've done Ned, will hopefully get over and see it in the flesh soon! Great colour choice also 👍🏻

Scary how bad these can rot, I'm near scared to check mine :eek:

Thanks gav. Call over when your home.

You've had your car up on the lift so I'd say your safe enough. I wasn't fit to have a poke around underneath mine when I was buying it so I had to take a chance. I'm guessing your car would be a more pampered item than mine as well as mine has an accident history, not that that should make a difference.

I've just been messing about tonight with the air compressors and filter set up to try and see if I can sort the fish eye issue.
A painter had commented on my Instagram telling me to check the compressors for water and oil. I hadn't figured on the oil so there's a tiny drop which may be my issue. Water is always gona happen but I had one separator/regulator in already so I've added a second one for good measure.

I also have a regulator/filter at the gun which my mate Marty(a painter) said to take off to get the pressure up. I'm now thinking I'll stick it back on as I only really have a quarter panel and door shut to do this time round. Hopefully there's no fishy bits.

Have to say, it's got even more inspiring now you're painting it yourself too!

I have an old SC lying in a mates garage and have been contemplating your type of DIY approach but everything/one to date has suggested I would be mad. I remember as a kid my dad wouldn't have thought twice about getting stuck in to this sort of stuff, but I think we have become accustomed to millimetric perfection to the detriment of developing or using our own skills.

Can't wait to see it done. We need to get an NI meet up sorted once you're back on the road!

andy9eleven said:
Have to say, it's got even more inspiring now you're painting it yourself too!

I have an old SC lying in a mates garage and have been contemplating your type of DIY approach but everything/one to date has suggested I would be mad. I remember as a kid my dad wouldn't have thought twice about getting stuck in to this sort of stuff, but I think we have become accustomed to millimetric perfection to the detriment of developing or using our own skills.

Can't wait to see it done. We need to get an NI meet up sorted once you're back on the road!

Thanks. The support always help boost the confidence.
I'd love an sc which would be a lot easier to work at. The welding etc would be much easier and after having a go at this one, I'd be be very keen on trying my hand at a higher value, older car. Though I definitely wouldn't be painting a higher value car unless I had a bit more practice.
Sure bring it over.

I can't see myself selling this car but if I could change it up to something like a 964 I'd be very keen but my wife wouldn't.

A meet up would be great. I'd like to get out and meet some new faces and see some of the machinery.
I'm very keen on the Porsche scene

Great colour choice. :thumb:

GR always stands out in a crowd but seeing a GR 996 will be very unusual.

:worship: to all your DIY work.

T8 said:

Thanks. The red was more of a default choice but it should be nice.

I think you should just paint the garage walls red too! Be easier than trying to clean up :lol:

--

NI -> Europe road trip next year? I'd planned to road trip with a few others over to Le Mans, and then head towards Ring and potentially as far down to Italy to the museums. Plan B was go for historic F1 at Monaco start of May, and across to Italy and up home via Ring.

I'd say I'll have to paint the garage again when I'm finished although I might just go for white again.

As for the road trip, I can never really commit to anything with the family life.
I was supposed to be going to goodwood next week as a present for my 40th but that's obviously out the window.

If there's any local meets, track days or anything like that this year, I'd be keen to go along and meet some of the crowd. I'd only be out in the daily as I doubt the c2 will be finished this year.

NedHan79 said:
T8 said:

Your default choice was an excellent choice! 8)

JS1500 said:
NedHan79 said:
T8 said:

Your default choice was an excellent choice! 8)

It was always a safe bet. I sometimes still think I should've yellow or something a bit more out there but at least I know what I'm getting

Got some primer on over the weekend. Had a few issues but it's only primer so I think it'll grand. I'll hopefully get it ready for paint this week

Attachments

• 12abf873_a38e_4f13_a5eb_2ef16c9820c5_789.jpeg
    12abf873_a38e_4f13_a5eb_2ef16c9820c5_789.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,396
I've been watching some painting videos on YouTube. One suggestion was to tape newspaper round the edge of what you are painting there, on top of the polythene.

Apparently it holds the overspray better than plastic and stops the overspray particles being blown back into the air and onto your new paint being laid. Seemingly you can also get specific polythene for painting cars that is designed to hold the paint on itself. Don't know if tacky or what, but it is sided.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back