Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help with headlight bulb question....

Evening all,

So I've swapped the bulb assembly's over between the two sides and hey-presto the suspect bulb works fine on the other side and the 'good' bulb assembly now does not work on the other side. all other light functions on both sides work perfectly.

So I presume it is therefore the ballast unit (Sherlock I know....). I'll have a look to see if the ballast unit is available separately but is it simply best given the assembly's must be 5+ years old to simply buy two complete new ones so they are the same make/intensity and colour? So two new ballast units and bulb assembly's?

Other option would be a loose connection but I had a look and presumably given the ballast unit only connects to the bulb assembly that this is unlikely. At £85 for the complete kit its probably not worth any further faffing!

The white light 5000 and H7R kit looks favourite.

cheers,

giles.

Have you checked the fuse?

Dipped beam A9 right or A10 left.

Del.

Thanks Del as had neglected to check that :?

however just have and both fine and swapping fuses makes no difference so a duff ballast it would seem.

does the kit I linked look like the right one to you? I have the projector lenses so seems to fit the bill. if so i'll order before the discount code apparently disappears at midnight :thumb:

there may be another connector you need to check:

hid-kit-installation.jpg

Check that first before buying a whole new kit

If it is the ballast, you can buy replacements:
https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/hid-ballasts-aftermarket

That link looks perfect for your needs For a new kit. I've had a few cars over the years with hid kits and the ballasts give out eventually but the kits are so cheap now for good ones I would just get a whole new set at 5000k colour

Thanks guys,

had a poke around of the car-ballast connection but could not see anything so if the new kit (now ordered) does not fix it then it's beyond my limited skills. Let's hope its a simple plug-n-play and sorts the issue.

Will report back next week when I know. in the meantime a big :thumb: to all who have advised.

Halcyon said:
there may be another connector you need to check:

[If it is the ballast, you can buy replacements:
https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/hid-ballasts-aftermarket

Avoiding hijacking the thread, but I have an Original ballast that has failed. Just bought an old one on ebay to keep me going..

.. but are these new cheaper ones any good? The genuine new ones are £350+, Hella (non Porsche) £180 ish, Lichtex etc in the £40 range. It seems odd (to me anyway).

My HIDs4U ones seem of good quality. Nicely built. Done fine so far in daily usage and got through an MOT late last year with no mention.

HIDS4U provide a 2 yr warranty.

The cheaper Ballasts do suffer from a slight flicker which you will see if for eg the lights are against a wall you cannot see it when driving and you cannot see it if you look directly at the lamp, in my experience they do seem to have a good life span.

I have bought bulbs from the HID suppliers and from eBay they look exactly the same agreed the more expensive Ballasts from some do seem to be better quality but they all do the same job.

Del.

Thanks for the responses. I'll get one in and keep the ebay as a spare.

Be a little carefull working on these .. not a good idear to mess with the wiring when its turned on .. i herd the scream of a collegue that did .. followed by some very choice words after the belt it gave him :D

Yes indeed the car will be fully switched off when doing the change-over or are you suggesting disconnecting the battery? hopefully it's literally plug and play so no wires to mess with :dont know:

ok to finish this one....

New HID kit arrived with the new 2018 kit (£30 upcharge).

Fitted today (took the obligatory 90 mins with 60 on the first side).

pleased to say the dipped beam now works so it was the ballast on one side. also the previous total distortion of the radio when the main light is in has also seemingly disappeared which is a bonus!

hopefully she sails through the MOT next week given the recent spend.....

cheers,

Giles.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back