Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help narrowing my search for a new car - £40k budget

Pops said:
The 997.1 turbo with the Mezger engine is likely to be a good investment but more importantly provide mega thrills! The engine does not have the potential issues of the n/a 997.1 3.8 and 3.6 lumps so is likely to handle higher mileages without issue, providing the maintenance is up to date.

The tiptronic gearbox is also capable of higher mileages without issue, providing the atf is changed at the required times. The problem with any car of the 997 era is that many wear and tear parts (suspension, coolant pipes, intercoolers, brakes etc, will need replacing as they reach the end their life, so a slush fund is advisable over and above the initial purchase price of the vehicle.

There is a temptation to go high and spend all your budget on a newer / lower mileage vehicle and hope that nothing expensive comes up, but with a 997 that may well be a game of Russian roulette!

very good point Pops , OP have you considered this option, buy a mid market Gen1 say 27k add warranty for 4 years 4k, total investment and complete piece of mind for 31k no extra cost only tyres fuel etc and 9k still in the bank. as a weekend toy a gen1 3.8 tip will be all the car you need on UK roads. it will not depreciate as its at the bottom of the curve infact with your mileage it will most likely go up in price, so its highly likely that if you sell it in 4 years you would get back the purchase price plus the warranty cost. So you would have had 4 years owning enjoying driving a 911 and still have your 40k in the bank . now that's good man maths infact would probably get approval from 'er indoors. Yes a turbo is quick but a 3.8 na is also quick and for ordinary fast road driving is more car than you would ever need. Its an option that you should give serious consideration , If you parked a gen1 3.8 a gen2 3.8 and a turbo next to each other 95% of people wouldn't see any difference between a 25k a 40k and a 60k car but you would be the one that got home 1 min later than the turbo, but with 35k still in the bank :grin: :thumb:

I've only skim read this but for £45k you could have my '11 blue C2S PDK with a great spec (bose, sports seats, sports wheel with paddles, heated seats, sport chrono, colour matched centre console and seat backs, sat nav).

I bought it for £50k from Porsche Notts in October, so got the remaining 24 month warranty and all the cover etc. Had about £3k+ spent on it with them so needs literally nothing, on 44k miles.

There's a lot of sense being dropped in here... I was hoping for some universal acknowledgement that I should just blitz it all on a Turbo :grin:

I'll do this after I haven't been to the pub on a Friday afternoon.

Appreciate all the input... looking like the c2s @ 911v is out in front at the moment, but shall maintain radio & let you know where I end up.

JoePeps said:
I've only skim read this but for £45k you could have my '11 blue C2S PDK with a great spec (bose, sports seats, sports wheel with paddles, heated seats, sport chrono, colour matched centre console and seat backs, sat nav).

I bought it for £50k from Porsche Notts in October, so got the remaining 24 month warranty and all the cover etc. Had about £3k+ spent on it with them so needs literally nothing, on 44k miles.

How come you're looking to sell so soon ?

s70rjw said:
JoePeps said:

I just haven't got on with the car to be honest, I miss the drama of my M3 and a manual gearbox.
It's a lot of money sat there if I'm not enjoying it 100%.

Would a Gen 2 S Cab with FPSH, PSE, etc be of any interest?

JoePeps said:
s70rjw said:
JoePeps said:

I just haven't got on with the car to be honest, I miss the drama of my M3 and a manual gearbox.
Had a mate do exactly the same, bought M3 every 2 years changed to a 991 C2s he did everything to try and love it, in the end gave it back and ordered M4. never understood it but thank god we can't all be the same.

silvermilnec said:
JoePeps said:
s70rjw said:
JoePeps said:

Had a mate do exactly the same, bought M3 every 2 years changed to a 991 C2s he did everything to try and love it, in the end gave it back and ordered M4. never understood it but thank god we can't all be the same.

Not man enough for the 911 :)

To push a 911 you need balls. It scares the life out of me after fourth gear and it's some experience 8)

What a car :grin:

Would want a serious warranty on a high mileage Turbo

Hi
Went through the same as you last November. Had a similar pot to spend and I went aroud quite a bit.
Like you I wrote a list of wants and also not fussed about the colour.

In the end I just did not have the b***s to go for a turbo as it would have had higher mileage and I did not want a tiptronic. Hats off to those that have them though. I have had four previous Porsches and one of those was a real money pit. As a result I was no willing to take that chance. You would need to budget for higher running costs as well.

I settled on a very low mileage 997.2 C2S with all the things on your list fully adaptive sports seats, sports chrono blah blah. No regrets at all and at nearly 400bhp the car is a lot faster than I will ever be driving it.

Hopefully like me you will see a car and know its the right one for you.

Regards
Glen Wells

Alfaian said:
silvermilnec said:
JoePeps said:
s70rjw said:
JoePeps said:

Not man enough for the 911 :)

To push a 911 you need balls. It scares the life out of me after fourth gear and it's some experience 8)

What a car :grin:

Haha!
You're right in a sense, there's not enough slow speed drama for me in them I don't think, you've got to be going pretty quickly and pushing it to get some excitement.

Although saying that a little spin today with the windows down and exhaust on in the sun certainly helps, especially when you catch a reflection in a window and realise how pretty they are.

Im hopefully going to be in the very same position soon, with a budget of around 40 to 42k, having looked through this thread im sticking with my plan which is a Gen2 C4S.

Just need to sell the rally car :)

Kev M said:
Im hopefully going to be in the very same position soon, with a budget of around 40 to 42k, having looked through this thread im sticking with my plan which is a Gen2 C4S.

Just need to sell the rally car :)

Good luck with the search Kev, keep us posted :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back