Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello! (And maybe goodbye...?!)

Wattie said:
Robertb said:
I wouldn't sell at the moment unless you really need to. A 993 is a lovely thing, but expect to pay more money for one over yours. Saying that, it might lose less money in the meantime :(

I'm not so sure... I still think 993 values are artificially high at the moment. There are just too many of them about for the 'cooking' models to all be classics,

Wattie, never less than controversial ......... :starwars:

I don't think it is an urban myth that the 993 was built in relatively low numbers and was the best built and engineered version of the air-cooled 911's.

The 3.4 version of the water-cooled 911's were not as well built, had mechanical issues and were prodcued in far higher numbers. The market value for early 996's reflects this .However the value of all discretionary purchases are now affected by the lack of confidence in the market and the fact that market makers, traders and private buyers alike, are now paying less or not purchasing at all.

To interprate that as a correction on 993 values strikes me as a nonsense. The value of everything is affected by a total lack of confidence but in reality, values will maintain their relationship to one another until either confidence is restored and supply/demand balances or no one has any disposable cash, at which stage the debate will become purely academic. In my view that is where we are now and no one can say what real values are, be it your 996, 993 or house.

The fact that the 993 is thought of as the last of the 'classic' air cooled 911s elevates it above other mass produced sports cars. It has a true enthusiast following. I'm hoping that the widebody 996s might have some sort of cachet going forward :D

But its only the real 'blue chip' 993s that fetch the big money- I've noticed some optimistically priced high mileage examples sitting about for a while, and leggy ones depreciating like everything else, albeit more slowly.

Tiptop Topcat said:
Wattie said:
Robertb said:
I wouldn't sell at the moment unless you really need to. A 993 is a lovely thing, but expect to pay more money for one over yours. Saying that, it might lose less money in the meantime :(

I'm not so sure... I still think 993 values are artificially high at the moment. There are just too many of them about for the 'cooking' models to all be classics,

Wattie, never less than controversial ......... :starwars:

I don't think it is an urban myth that the 993 was built in relatively low numbers and was the best built and engineered version of the air-cooled 911's.

The 3.4 version of the water-cooled 911's were not as well built, had mechanical issues and were prodcued in far higher numbers. The market value for early 996's reflects this .However the value of all discretionary purchases are now affected by the lack of confidence in the market and the fact that market makers, traders and private buyers alike, are now paying less or not purchasing at all.

To interprate that as a correction on 993 values strikes me as a nonsense. The value of everything is affected by a total lack of confidence but in reality, values will maintain their relationship to one another until either confidence is restored and supply/demand balances or no one has any disposable cash, at which stage the debate will become purely academic. In my view that is where we are now and no one can say what real values are, be it your 996, 993 or house.

We'll agree to differ on that one then :wink:

After all I only have 25 years experience at this end of the motor trade, so what would I know? :?:

.......and I only came in for a pint of milk!! :D

adrian996 said:
.......and I only came in for a pint of milk!! :D

Ah, but was that the old-fashioned milk in a bottle with a gold top and a cream head?

Or was it the modern 500ml plastic Organic, semi-skimmed variety?

'cos you know one's going to be worth more than the other in a few year's time...

i wish 993 values would take a hit, if only to stop the owners smugly reminding everyone, at every opportunity, that they made such a great "investment" in the first place.

It's not a sign of the times either, they've always done it. :lol:

I'd agree with Wattie, the bubble has to burst.

Will [this] be the five minute argument or the full half-hour?

just the 5 mins please.

think i'll nip over to the 993 forum and start talking about Carrera RS values....

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back