Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello! (And maybe goodbye...?!)

adrian996

Hockenheim
Hi there! Having trod the boards over on the PCGB forum for some time I'm now giving this forum a go to see if any advice, etc differs from there. Meanwhile I'm (hopefully) in the transition between 996 and 997! Despite being a brand new member (This is my first post) 911UK have allowed me to advertise the car here: http://www.911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=573
Still a bit unsure whether to change or not as I've worked so hard on my car and I know (God willing!) exactly where I am with it. The car is simply in pristine condition and just so great to drive (Especially with the 10mm lowered suspension (not too much, not too little) she corners like she's on rails. Reading this does make me wonder why I'm even considering taking on a used (private sale) car which I'm going to know nothing about...? :?:
I know that everyone and his wife are going to tell me that the 997 is.... "a far better car in every way" but I'm just a bit scared of it turning out to have clay feet? (I've recently heard that the idler shaft can be prone to breaking!!!).
On the complete opposite end of the scale, having only covered 1,100 miles in my 996 in the last year, I have also wondered about "Going Classic"?
Anyway, nice to be here and I'll hopefully speak to some of you in due course.
Adrian.

:welcome:

Welcome. Go air cooled. It's the only way and you know it makes sense. :hand:

Air cooled :yeah: :bow:

The air-cooled brigade will have you believe that there's more fun in them.....

And they're absolutely right!!

As usual, depends what you're using the car for, but you definitely should have a test drive of some of the older models before you commit. IMHO anyway :)

Nik

Don't listen to all them old is best folks, 997 all the way... ;)

For 1,100 miles a year I wouldn't even bother with your current 996 and just hire something even more exotic for the odd days that you want to have some excitement.

For the cost of running your 996 never mind a 997 you would have a fair sized pot of money to play with.

Oh...and having recently moved from a 996 to a 997 I can confirm that it is a far better car in every way :floor:

For the mileage that you are doing, why not stick with the 996? Good looking car, well spec'd and cared for - all the things that people won't pay a premium for in todays market. I would hang on to it as you will be disapointed in the money that people are paying for a 996 C2 these days.

:agree:

&

:welcome:

This sites fun. More banter than PCGB; meets are :thumbs: content is less :soapbox: and you don't get :p in the same way as sites liked Piston Heads, unless you're selling driving gloves and number plates :starwars:

Tiptop Topcat said:
This sites fun. More banter than PCGB; meets are :thumbs: content is less :soapbox: and you don't get :p in the same way as sites liked Piston Heads, unless you're selling driving gloves and number plates :starwars:

... or Porsche flags... :floor:

Welcome!

I would also be tempted to keep the 996 and instead of spending £10-15k to change, why not spend it on some mods... (me, me, me... :wink: :D , ) - no I mean modifications... :lol:

£10k would probably get you a GT3 aerokit and the carbon fibre trim kit, which looks awesome with grey leather and black mats... OK, you won't see the cash again, but you'll have an awesome car that you know the history of

DSC_4910a.jpg

Or you could spend a bit less on a couple of mild engine tweaks, PSE, new wheels, etc...

It's such a nice car (great colour) and I'm afraid to say I think you'll be very disappointed with the sale price if you mange to find a buyer at all at the moment :(

Welcome to the site :)

Echoing what's been already said, given the low mileage you're doing, I would either keep the 996 or sell and get into a 993 - the older cars have a bit more character (imo) and will definitely put a smile on your face :thumb:

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I have to say that it's a good job that they don't charge you lot for using :worship: and :bandit: and :floor: and :food: and :lock: !!!!!!!

If they did we'd all :pc: :starwars: and :coat:

I wouldn't sell at the moment unless you really need to. A 993 is a lovely thing, but expect to pay more money for one over yours. Saying that, it might lose less money in the meantime :(

Robertb said:
I wouldn't sell at the moment unless you really need to. A 993 is a lovely thing, but expect to pay more money for one over yours. Saying that, it might lose less money in the meantime :(

I'm not so sure... I still think 993 values are artificially high at the moment. There are just too many of them about for the 'cooking' models to all be classics, so I reckon most of them are due for a big drop sometime soon (sorry guys :boxin: ) - especially the higher mileage / non-enthusiast cars

If you think about it rationally, a 12 year old, 50,000 mile production car should never be worth 60% of its new price unless it is a 'classic' or extremely low volume (100s rather than 1,000s). I just can't see how this current anomaly can be sustainable.. :?:

I certainly can't think of a precedent for it (apart from the Turbo in the late '80s / early '90s - and we all know the outcome of that! :eek: )

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back