Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight restoration with pics

Mike!

Silverstone
Carrying on from the thread posted recently (http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=101562&highlight=headlight), I decided to try and fix my UV degraded headlights.

Ok so both my headlight lenses were crazed/micro cracked/yellowing from weathering, looks awful.

I started off with removing the headlight from the car, there was no way I could have managed to lean over the car and get the edges clean with then installed, plus it was raining then hailstones then sun in 30 min rotations.....

1. I removed the rubber seal round the unit as there was some dirt and grim trapped down there. It just pulls off, located with wee plastic tabs:

Gave it a good clean:

2. Started sanding the lens with 800grit wet and dry, I used lots of water. I took me an hour to get the lens smooth and free of the crazing leaving an even 'matt' finish:

3. Then some 1200grit/water for about 30 mins then to get to this stage:

4. Repeat with 2500grit/water:

5. I used some paint cutting paste from Halfords with a wool buffing pad attached to a battery gun:

Applied a £2 coin size of the cutting compound and smeared it with the buffing pad round the lens:

Within 60 seconds of buffing:

Continued for about 5 mins after that.

6. Still some scratches so stepped down to a less course cutting paste:

A 5 mins later:

7. Apply a UV protector....which didn't arrive in the mail, so I added some car wax in the meantime, I also refitted the seal:

8. Refit:

From certain angles you can still see some light swirl marks but can be easily buffed out.

Recap:

Haha thanks, although I only managed one today. I took me just over 3 hours working at a relaxed pace.

Great post im planning to do mine soon :thumbs:

Thanks, it's pretty straightforward just requires some time and effort. I was tempted to go courser at the start as it took ages with the 800grit but didn't want to score the lens deeply making more work for myself later.

Nice job.It could be made a lot easier,with Farecla G6,and a small battery powered polisher.We bought an AC Delco one,for our workshop.It gets used constantly when a full size polisher isnt required.
Dont go below 600 grit.However you might find faster progress going, 600,1000 1500,2500.

I was looking for 600 but only had 400 and didn't want to risk it. I bought a kit with polishing pads and a selection of wet and dry sandpaper pads with an arbour to connect to my battery drill but the kit never arrived in time.

If I cleaned / detailed the car often enough I would invest in a polisher / buffer.

Thanks for the step by step guide, a real improvement, it is now on my to do list!!

anyone recommend a, is it a UV? protection finish coat, how do you apply ,is it polish or spray? ive never heard of it.
thanks.

Great post and love the pet lizard in the garden

Good effort! I really need to do mine and this has helped inspire me!

diverzeusy said:
anyone recommend a, is it a UV? protection finish coat, how do you apply ,is it polish or spray? ive never heard of it.
thanks.

This is the kit I bought but didn't arrive in time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight...348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2598d098a4

Looks like the UV protector is some sort of polish. I wouldn't think it would last longer the a few weeks though before you need to reapply. You can laquer the lenses and then flatten and repolish, or you can have a UV film applied professionally.

have done one of mine so far. started with 400 wet but wouldnt recommend it. will do the next one with 800 first.

Must admit I thought you were bonkers at the start of this thread, but thay have come up superb. Very useful thread! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back