Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marks inside Headlights Bugging me

ashtonjay

Trainee
So i removed the headlights today and was wondering how to actually get right inside them to clean/polish some marks out that have bugged me since i got the car

i spoke with Alex about the possibility of getting some water in there to flush the marks out but am not entirely sure on how to get right inside the actual light unit (the clear outer lens being removed would be ideal but that looks too lenghty a process with a heat gun etc)

i have attached a file but just incase it wont open better pics can be seen on instagram @pennytheporsche

any advice would be very welcomed

Attachments

• img_3572_153.jpg
    img_3572_153.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 837
  • img_3572_153.jpg
    img_3572_153.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 837
Remove every single bulb out the unit, leave all the rear covers off and all sockets undone. Hold the light unit with the lens on the underside and fill with water out the hot tap in the sink. Only around half a pint, enough to swill around the lens cover with the unit upside down. Then pour the water back out the main aperture where you filled it from. place the unit lens down on a towel and then start blowing hot air through it with a hairdryer until all the moisture is out. It's the only way unless you want to spend a few days trying to remove the lens cover.

Have a read of this if you want to go down the lens removal route: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102203

Wouldn't distilled water be better for this (to avoid residue after evaporating tap water)?

not too sure to be honest pal but after spending the best part or 5 hours trying to get into the bloody unit i think ill just live with it

Yeah I feel you - I'd rather either leave it alone or take it to some professional too :D

Taking the lens cover off is the only way and a pig of a job. I think it is dusted silvering on that part of the lens so it cannot be cleaned, when I had mine apart I touched a bit luckily it was not in a visible place.
My reflector was marked and had to be re chromed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back