Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hartech oversized engine testing.

Not always that easy when you're on the other side of the planet on a school night :grin:

It may be worth giving Chipwizards a call, they do the majority of the mapping on these engines. They optimised my injectors remotely when I sent them just my ECU, I need to take the car up there for final mapping but I wonder if they have a map with something similar your current set up already? It's not going to be perfect without the car itself but that might be a good option?

James88, Hi - I could not find a reference to your engine but do recall sending a 3.9 set of cases and pistons to Australia - so I presume you bought the car.

Because we didn't build it and with all the changes we cannot advise what mapping to do from the UK (sorry) nor do we know of anyone in Australia that can help. Usually the conversions run really well before fine tuning which often only smooths out minor areas of lumpiness (rather than full flat spots).

There should be someone over there can carry our a bespoke re-tune - hope you can locate them.

Baz

Just a thought that if you are having any issues you might find that the 996 3.6 in Australia had smaller injectors than the 997 3.6 and 3.8. Although we usually find that a 996 3.6 with a 3.9 conversion runs perfectly OK in the UK on the 996 3.6 injectors - if the car has been fitted with more free flowing exhausts or cats (as yours appears to have fitted) - we often end up changing those injectors for 3.8 997 ones to get the best out of the re-map and the potential of the car.

Baz

bazhart said:
Just a thought that if you are having any issues you might find that the 996 3.6 in Australia had smaller injectors than the 997 3.6 and 3.8. Although we usually find that a 996 3.6 with a 3.9 conversion runs perfectly OK in the UK on the 996 3.6 injectors - if the car has been fitted with more free flowing exhausts or cats (as yours appears to have fitted) - we often end up changing those injectors for 3.8 997 ones to get the best out of the re-map and the potential of the car.

Baz

Interesting point, my car has free flowing manifolds and exhaust and I can occasionally detect a very slight lumpiness. I will get some 3.8 injectors fitted when I can and get it on a rolling road. Is there anyone down south you recommend for a remap?

bazhart said:

Baz

Thanks Baz,

Yes it was me that bought it, the seller is a mechanic with several engine rebuilds.
He did change out injectors, engines running strong after about 10,000km, even my tech said how well it runs. I just thought a tune might improve it, maybe I should just leave it.
Thanks again for providing great products that work well together.

James
I'm not sure in Melb, but in I know in Syd you could try Aurohaus at Chatswood as a starting point.

Personally I love a modified engine but do go into it with your eyes open. If you live in a higher risk area then Insurance companies don't share your enthusiasm and the car also has a narrowed market when you want to sell based on my experiences.

TV8 said:
Personally I love a modified engine but do go into it with your eyes open. If you live in a higher risk area then Insurance companies don't share your enthusiasm and the car also has a narrowed market when you want to sell based on my experiences.

Don't think it made much difference to me Insurance wise getting cover on my 3.9 car. Also I would have thought any Hartech engined car would sell without much issue?

bazhart said:

Baz

Just found out previous owner installed new 3.6L injectors, cars running fine but do you think I'd get a bit more power with the larger injectors?

Am I the only one in Australia with your 3.9L conversion?

My mods have only pushed my Insurance up be around £40 pa and as said a Hartech engine whether a rebuild or oversize will always be in demand :thumb:

Tuning for performance is a difficult game because what people want isn't often what works best (and visa versa).

We decided on this development because the cost of replacing scored or cracked cylinders and rebuilding engines with crankshafts near their limit was high anyway and at the end of it the owners merely got back a reliable version of what they had before they went wrong.

We felt that for a little more expense we could give them something back much better - but that scenario is quite different to someone without and engine problem wanting to pay for an upgrade (like exhausts, cats, inlets, LWFW etc) which usually only makes a very small improvement (and many make things noisier but slower).

So we felt we had to design the conversions to work without changing a lot of other auxiliaries and have achieved that with reliability as well.

But that doesn't mean that those other extras will not make them better still - we just haven't developed versions to be able to advise people - after all our conversions offer something like a 8-10% increase in BHP and a 15-16% increase in torque and work throughout the mid-range and top end and without any further mods (as you will have found out).

All were 300cc increases to achieve this - except the Cayman S (because we thought the head could breathe more air comfortably - so 500cc more). However we only had from 3.8 to 3.9 - now soon to be upgraded to a 4.1 (several under test and development and soon to be released).

Our first 9A1 Gen 2 I increased from 3.6 to 4.0 and we are now working on a 3.8 to 4.2 for that range in anticipation that eventually some will score bores and the same scenario will apply.

You may not have realised how much more mid range your car has compared to a standard 3.6 (if you bought it already upgraded) but it is significant and also better on economy too into the bargain.

We increased a 3.2 Boxster S to 3.7 but it didn't have traction control and can get a bit tricky and then brakes are marginal driven competitively (really needed the 996 3.4 inlets and exhaust system added as well).

Interested parties can find out more by requesting our FREE report on "oversized engines" from [email protected].

Our 3.7 engine won its first 2 races in the UK Britcar Trophy event (class 2) and our engines have also won all the class 1 races in the Porsche Club Great Britain events so far this season and lead the Championship (2 wins last time out at Brands Hatch also with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th between the two races and two fastest laps) so demonstrate performance and reliability.

Shame we don't yet have an agent in Australia so more people can benefit from the excellent work we do.

Baz

Hi Baz,

Thank you for your long reply, its very much appreciated and can feel your passion for your the work you are doing, quite rare these days.

My previous car was a Cayman GT4 and your 3.9L doesn't feel that far off in power, quite close.

At Sandown Raceway in Melbourne the GT4 was about 5kmh faster at the back straight than the 911 3.9L, but it was my 1st time in this 911 plus it doesn't have stability or traction control which I think held me back psychologically, its all about confidence in hooking up at the last turn to get maximum speed.

I've owned Porsches since the mid 90's, I pretty much know most of the Porsche shops in Aust, Let me know if you require any info, I'm happy to help out.

Cheers Jim

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back