Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gundo or 'Mid pipes' modification?

thefunkygibbon

Spa-Francorchamps
I've messaged a company to see what he can do for my 997.2 exhaust to make it a bit louder and he mentions either the Gundo hack (which I already knew about) or he can 'modify my mid pipes'

to clarify he said exactly (in answer to "is there anything else you can modify on these cars other than the gundo hack?)

"Yes I can either fit a cross pipe or modify the stock one, £350 fitting (supplied by you) cross pipe with hack on backboxes, or £400 with modified mid pipe and hack"

i'm not entirely sure what he's saying to be honest, can anyone advise (he's terribly slow at replying so I thought i'd ask a more active audience).

From what i can tell, the cross pipe is the replacement for the center muffler? and the cross pipe themselves cost about £300 from what i remember seeing. so that one looks like it costs not far off getting a proper aftermarket exhaust anyway.

what would the modified mid pipe actually be? I'm assuming here the mid pipe is what he is calling the centre muffler? or am i wrong?

anyone got any experience with doing both? or the midpipes?

thanks

I'm going to assume the company you contacted is Paul from PCW. He is very very good, but a one man band who is seriously busy.

The Gundo on it's own cost £250, thus his mid-pipe modification costs £150 if you have it done at the same time. The reason for this is over half the time taken on this job on a 997.2 is to strip the rear of the car down and get the back boxes off. The mid-pipe hack involves cutting open the mid-box and wrapping the perforated silencer pipes and then repacking and welding it back together.

I had the Gundo done by Paul a couple of weeks ago and i'm living with it for a bit to decide if I then fit a top-gear x-pipe which can be done without removing the bumper etc. I don't want it to be crazy loud and just the Gundo to be fine.

Rob/

Thanks rob, yes it is him and fully respect the fact he is busy. He can't fit me in til October anyway!

So is there another name for the mid pipe hack thing? Is the mid pipe the centre muffler? Trying to find writeups and videos of it in action to see if it's worth spending the extra 150.

The centerbox mod isn't that common. I think PCW is really one of the few that offers it, as most people just pay £300-£500 and fit a Top Gear X-pipe or Haywood and Scott Cross over. I think it's spawned from a lot of the work he does on the BMW's

I did lots of research before mine and didn't find a lot on the entire interweb about it.

These cars have three silencers. You need to 'delete' the centre silencer. Whether you'll then work on the remainder is up to you. Sharkwerks do a bypass, but there are other options and knockoffs available.

I wouldn't bother modifying the centre silencer that's there.

Mine's had the Gundo Hack. It sounds fantastic, even better when started from cold.

Not sure where you are but Longlife Swansea (Briton Ferry) did mine and I think they're open again and wouldn't be so busy.

Ha maybe if I'm down that neck of the woods anytime soon. But I'm in Cambridgeshire so it's a bit of a trek 😂

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back