Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ground clearance an MOT issue...?

Luddite

Indianapolis
Apologies for the click bait title, I just thought there may be interest in an issue I came upon in another forum I frequent where as standard the cars are somewhat low slung, and given that some Porsche owners are into lowering suspension etc I thought there may be some relevance..?

Apparently the car involved failed it`s Belgian equivalent of the MOT which seemingly requires a minimum ground clearance of 1010mm.. ?

Whether this is an addition to existing regs or something new, I know not. With the increase in speed humps on many roads in recent years it may just be possible that Belgian MOT regs have been altered to consider that speed humps have become normal road surface encounters for motor vehicles, and that they that must be equipped to handle them without grounding...?

It would seem possible that this regulation may be retrospective given the car in question has been passing MOTs for at least nine years without issue..? OR perhaps just that the MOT inspector did not apply the regulation correctly... :?:

hmm are you sure about those numbers?

1010mm would be just over a meter.

I doubt there are many stock vehicles that could meet that ground clearance requirement! Perhaps the Belgians are trying to sway everyone towards custom bigfoot type transport?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j5ypXhSV49M/T3xTQLqmGiI/AAAAAAAABmo/mpW-NjNj7es/s1600/BIGFOOT+TRUCK+CAR+(10).jpg

My 996 is very low and wouldn't go on the jack on the ramps to lift the front axle as it would hit the underside of the car and also the brake rollers would bottom the car out so the garage would take it on a test drive as they had grandfather rights apparently so could do this?
They have now updated some of their equipment and I can get the car for a full visual MOT and brake test now.

At the MOT station I go to, they use the old brake meter in the footwell, as they do not put vehicles with LSDs on the rollers, apparently since a Porsche owner claimed that they damaged his LSD..!!!

As i understand it ..

if a car can't fit in the brake rollers or is of a design that they can't be tested with the rollers then a brake meter ( tappling ) and a road test is allowed to confirm the effectiveness of the brakes ... garages should be insured to do this .

If a car can not be jacked up to test the suspension on each wheel then its a refusal to test .. if you can't test an item you can't pass or fail .. it's a refusal to test .

If a large amount of oil was dripping down then the same rules would apply ... mechanic deems it unsafe to continue .

There is no minimum setting .. there is only the ability to test an item .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back