Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 not intended as a scare story and is just my Car

mark pearce said:
as the miss fire appears at 39800 revs
could it be something to do with the vario cam mechanism?

Mark thanks for the though , vario cam issues have been discussed and will be looked into as we are not getting any codes so we just need a process of elimination , what I am trying to avoid is spending 2k on sensors ,solinoids and electrical bits to then find its an engine drop anyway , but the dam painfull bit is the other option is to drop the engine to then find its a £200 electrical parts :nooo:

GlenB said:
Have you checked all the earth cables and cleaned up all the earth contact points?

he has but its worth getting him to recheck them all thanks :thumb: :thumb:

K888ETH said:
I'm sorry to read of the continued issues with your car Phil, although I applaud your attitude. Here's hoping it's a sensor/map issue that's easily resolved and you can divert the funds into further mods...we all know you want to :grin:

I would so much rather be spending money on fun bits rather than just trying to get it running right I really fancied adding some race livery like the rothmans car at the 24hr lemans this year but looks like the money for that will no be spend sorting this fault out. :thumb: :thumb:

stucart said:
Hope you get it sorted soon Phil, its not right you spending money on repairs when you can spend it on mods for everyone else to also want and spend their money also.

:hand:

For my money it cant be mechanical if it swaps between different cylinders (but what do I know),

thats was my original thought and I was pursuing that theory until the OPC saw the metalic film in the oil that stopped me in my tracks hence a disscussion with Hartech and oil sample sent to them along with borescope pics. but as I already mentioned it may be two seperate things and the oil and cylinders are just normal for a 63K car in which case we are back to thinking its electrical . they are strange engines though as if say a tappet housing or valve seat has caused an issue you would expect to see it across the bank well thats my understanding which is why I am reluctant to drop the engine until I have a better idea of what the metal film is in the oil which should indicate what componant its from and we can move forward :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
mark pearce said:

Mark thanks for the though , vario cam issues have been discussed and will be looked into as we are not getting any codes so we just need a process of elimination , what I am trying to avoid is spending 2k on sensors ,solinoids and electrical bits to then find its an engine drop anyway , but the dam painfull bit is the other option is to drop the engine to then find its a £200 electrical parts :nooo:

This is one of the reasons i think its the cam or crank hall sensor. Because theyre magnetic induction sensors they can send the correct voltage for part of the range and not throw an error code, if one of them isnt counting right and the crank and cam counts dont fit, the ECU is going to start throwing a wobbler. This explains both why it happens at certain revs, and why it seems to move from one cylinder to another each time

Disclaimer: i dont know much about these engines specifically but i do know a bit about ECUs, sensor systems and canbus

pcat said:
Phil 997 said:
mark pearce said:

This is one of the reasons i think its the cam or crank hall sensor. Because theyre magnetic induction sensors they can send the correct voltage for part of the range and not throw an error code, if one of them isnt counting right and the crank and cam counts dont fit, the ECU is going to start throwing a wobbler. This explains both why it happens at certain revs, and why it seems to move from one cylinder to another each time

Disclaimer: i dont know much about these engines specifically but i do know a bit about ECUs, sensor systems and canbus

Thanks mate I will certainly be putting this to my tech to look into :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: and thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas my tech is going to be busy implementing or disscounting them :thumb: :thumb:

I didn't realise you had all the mods listed on your engine until now.

We had an interesting issue with the 3.9 Cayman S that sounds very similar.

Even before we started the re-map - running it standard - it would occasionally cut out on random cylinders under full acceleration during driving on the road and also on the dyno during the re-map. There were no fault codes and so it took a long time to find what the cause was but once we had we realised it was connected to the improved performance (that it was not originally programmed to accept as normal and read as a fault) and adjusted relevant parameters - it went like a rocket.

If yours is similar then if it is potentially faster than standard - the fault might very well still be there when run with a standard map especially if the feature causing our problem has not been altered.

If so it might simply need a re-map by someone that understands this issue.

Baz

Hi Baz, thanks for the post, I remember you telling me about that cayman and thats what sort of led me back to the map. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the metalic film on the oil you should have the sample today , and whether its normal for a 63k car or something that needs investigating and if the two issues may be related or not. Somehow I have a feeling that you maybe seeing this car sometime soon even if its just for your expertise and remap and not a full rebuild , fingers crossed :grin: :grin:

deMort said:
Get the original Dme map put back on when you get the chance please .

Iain, thats my plan , unless I decide to send the car to Hartech depends what the oil samples show. :thumb: :thumb:

Blimey, Phil - and there was me thinking that you had been quiet on the forum for a while - you've been spending every waking hour on this thread!

Good luck with the troubleshooting - hope that it is not stupid £££
Mike

Phil 997 said:
deMort said:

Iain, thats my plan , unless I decide to send the car to Hartech depends what the oil samples show. :thumb: :thumb:

If this turns out to be a mapping issue I would like a generous percentage of shares in this car and/or the soon to launch porsche modifications company www.Philsbitz.com

Many thanks
Shah.

RXP. said:
Phil 997 said:
deMort said:

If this turns out to be a mapping issue I would like a generous percentage of shares in this car and/or the soon to launch porsche modifications company www.Philsbitz.com

Many thanks
Shah.

:floor: :floor: :floor: I'M liking Philsbitz.com Shar :grin: :grin: :thumb:

mikeluke said:
Blimey, Phil - and there was me thinking that you had been quiet on the forum for a while - you've been spending every waking hour on this thread!

Good luck with the troubleshooting - hope that it is not stupid £££
Mike

:floor: :floor: no Mike apart from the usual daily distraction this time of year ... no not work , kids on holiday all I hear all day is "dad can we ???????" :grin: :grin: yes hope to get it sorted soon before weeds start to grow over the car . :floor: :thumb:

Phil, being a new owner of my 911 (1 year) I still find these stories scary to say the least... It seems that when things go wrong then they can go Wrong with a capital W ....
I wished that I could be so relaxed as you seem to be :eek:
Anyway I do hope that you get to the bottom of things asap and without spending to much more of the £££'s

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back