Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front end suspension noise

doc_loco

I've had this rattle that I'd been chasing for a while but was putting it off as it wasn't causing too many issues. It was only audible when driving on uneven surfaces and sounded like clacking on the passenger side (UK). I decided to tackle the issue so I took a look under the car and noticed that my drop links had tears in them. There wasn't any play but as they were in bad shape I'd swapped them out for adjustable ones ( I have KW V3s with shorter than stock DLs). I sized them correctly and test-drove it but it didn't fix the issue. 

I then bought the diagonal arm/tuning fork and tried to fit it. I couldn't muscle it out so I took it to an Indy who did it for me. The first hour after the fix the rattle was gone. I thought I'd finally won! But after hitting a few road bumps I started getting a new knocking noise from the offside (driver side) that is really audible when going on road bumps that wasn't there before. Does anyone have any suggestions for this new sound? Could it be something not fitted correctly? Indy is booked out till next week so wanted to see if there's something I can look at before I give it to him.

Or maybe now the worst knocking noise is fixed, you can hear the other one? :grin:

Unless you can see or feel obvious play, it could be all sorts of things.

What condition are the top mounts for the front dampers in? Feel the bottom edge of the spring with the wheel off the ground, is it a flat edge or has a bit cracked off?

The clacking you describe - like snooker balls knocking together in a box - is classic front arm symptom. Can happen when cold, but often only after driving a while and they warm up.

Can't say what the other noise is from your description. But it's not unusual to have more than one worn part / bush. And lack of obvious play is not a good enough diagnostic test. I ended up replacing everything at 60K to get a silent perfect handling car. And I mean everything except the springs.

drmark said:
The clacking you describe - like snooker balls knocking together in a box - is classic front arm symptom. Can happen when cold, but often only after driving a while and they warm up.

Can't say what the other noise is from your description. But it's not unusual to have more than one worn part / bush. And lack of obvious play is not a good enough diagnostic test. I ended up replacing everything at 60K to get a silent perfect handling car. And I mean everything except the springs.

This is why I swapped out the tuning fork arm - when you say front arm do you mean the coffin arm?

Failed anti roll bar bushes can make an odd racket. :dont know:

...just check that both track rod ends are tightened down to the nut...I chased a similar noise only to find that the osf was a turn or two loose which rattled when warm :thumbs:

doc_loco said:
drmark said:

This is why I swapped out the tuning fork arm - when you say front arm do you mean the coffin arm?

Coffin arm. Sorry, I misread your post and thought you had done both.

Had a diagonal arm done the drivers side front for similar issue and is sorted for now..
:dont know:

I've sorted it! Brand new drop link failed at the bottom on the offside that caused a huge racket. The whole thing was moving when I jacked up the car. Replaced it and everything is 100%! Thanks everyone! I'll replace top mounts next as preventative maintenance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back