Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front drop links on car shorter than stock

doc_loco

I've had this clunking sound when going over uneven road recently that sounded like my drop link on the left side was shot. I ordered a pair of stock links to get them swapped out. When I pulled the wheel to replace them i found to my surprise that the links were maybe an inch or over shorter than what I had bought from porsche. I didn't put it on, as I wanted to find a similar sized one. Does anyone have a clue where I can get these from?

Previous owner did lower it on k&w v3s so that's probably the reason for the shorter links but they aren't adjustable. I want to know where to get a replacement like this.

Attachments

• 20230520_124837_468.jpg
    20230520_124837_468.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 619
Sure you've not ordered the wrong ones? I ordered some once and they were too long. Think the gen 1 & Gen 2 are different lengths, or its the C$ vs C2 that are different.

First off .. get hold of the link rod and try and move it up and down .. then pull and push on each ball joint .. any play at all ? if not then this isn't your noise .

Top strut mounts or diagonal arms are more common and give a similar noise .Top strut is a deeper and higher noise when driving though .

Diag arms and 50 - 60K miles they start knocking .

Personally i would remove and fit both side link rods .. they look pretty much the same to me and if the roll bar doesn't foul the coffin arm then its fine ..

From the picture the roll bar looks pretty close to the coffin arm .. a bit shorter will raise it a bit .. you would need to check clearance with the car on the floor but i think what you have and whats fitted are pretty much the same .

As mentioned .. i would just fit them but it Has to be both sides .

As i'm sure you are aware .. you have a C4 .

Adjustable rods and i have no idea but with these .. you have to adjust each one exactly the same ... unless tracking on a particular circuit with more one side bends than the other .

What length are they? Around 280mm?

Are they Meyle? To be honest, return them anyway and get some TRW ones.

Is there a different link for standard vs m030 vs x74 suspension?

I have a C4 too, with m030 and the TRW links from ECP were fine.

I have given up using Meyle, they fail far too quickly for my liking.

Ended up putting on adjustable drop links but the noise is still there. I tried to swap out the tuning forks on the control arm but boy oh boy they are tight. The length on the arm I had were 240mm.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back