Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flickr acquired by SmugMug

isysman

Daytona
So I just had an email from Dlickr saying this is happing in May. If like me you moved to Flickr after Photobucket broke the Internet by forcing everyone to pay $40 a month for their service, then prepare to start paying anyway (or move again).

We're excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we'll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug's Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We're happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
The Flickr Team

There's no guarantees with any of these photo hosting sites. I just wish facebook displayed their photos with the .jpg on the end then you could just have your photos on there and link them on here. That and twitter are the only 2 sites I can see this never happening to. Twitter display the photos with the jpg on the end but it's not user-friendly enough.

My lad's asked me why 911uk have never launched a 911uk app, that included uploading photos, etc. :dont know:

Storage of uploaded photos would be expensive for this site.

Just wondering what that will mean for currently posted photos? If all of my photos are 'being transferred' to the new site then I'm assuming the current links will be terminated. Meaning going through threads once again to repair links.

Most likely. Quite annoying at best. :pc:

When storage and web serving is so cheap, all forums should host pics. Stick them in AWS S3 for about 20p per GB/year.

I use Dropbox. $99 dollars for 1TB of storage and all my files / photos are backed up, accessible from all my devices.

Its great for work as I can access my files from anyone device / phone etc.....

I can share my journal pics from there by secure direct links to lots of sites but not this one :frustrated:

I was under the impression that there are things afoot behind the scenes to upgrade the platform to allow direct links (and hopefully lots of other useful features I see on other more modern forums) :dont know:

As a temporary measure I use imgur to update my journals but I'm not bothering updating historic pic links until I can have full control via direct links.

My existing $49 subscription to ad-free Photobucket expires this month and I was sent an option to renew it at a cost of $99.

Most of me begrudges giving photobucket anything but the part of me that works out the value of my time decided that for a cost of 25p a day I'd leave my photos where they are rather than spending hours and hours replacing my hundreds of pictures already posted on 911uk.

Magic919 said:
When storage and web serving is so cheap...

The thing is - if you do a lot of it with a high traffic volume, it never has been cheap the way that people think that it is. (Which is in fact why niche forums such as this generally do not hold images for you - it breaks their financial viability). It is just that for most of the (now systematically vanishing) options out there they have hitherto been bankrolled by venture capitalists speculatively floating unprofitable businesses in the hope that they could end up with the next big thing (and as their funding runs out they merge or dissolve). Beyond that you just have the advertising companies like Google and Facebook paying for it by aggressively monetising their users' data. The funniest thing in technology over the last few years has been people with Google phones debating whether they should close their Facebook accounts after the Cambridge Analytica saga. :grin:

Google Photos?

Google Photos - All your photos organized and easy to find
https://photos.google.com/
We've got your backup. Back up unlimited photos and videos for free, up to 16MP and 1080p HD. Access them from any phone, tablet, or computer on photos.google.com – your photos will be safe, secure, and always with you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RAX6V8iA7i6B9MJ52

Ermm.. the site does host photos, you just have to crop or crush or take images with silghtly lower resolution so the image size comes in under 1mb. I just turn down the resolution on my phone camera to 6mp or below and it's all good. Never going to need huge images on a forum like this anyway

...and it doesn't give you a direct link without a heap of messing about. Rubbish.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back