Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

simsand

UPDATE - our situation has now been resolved - thankyou so much to all the people who messaged me with advice, suggestions and offering their expertise. I was overwhelmed by your generosity and sympathy. Happy to report dad will be back on the road very soon, albeit not in a 911. At age 86 that may not be a bad thing?!?? Maybe a new topic for the forum - at what age should you not be driving a 911?

My father has a 911 Carrera 4S (2005) which has suffered a terminal engine failure. It has a loud ticking noise and stethoscopic inspection has shown significant scoring of the cylinder walls especially 5 & 6, which is deemed to be the cause of the noise. He has been advised not to run it. My dad has only owned the car for about 10 months, he is elderly and quite distressed. He just wants to sell the car "as is", cut his losses and move on, and I just want to help him do that with as little hassle as possible. My question is where would be the best place to find a reputable/honest purchaser who would pay a fair price for such a car? Thanks in advance for any advice, which I'd be very grateful for. Andrew

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news and I hope that someone on here will come to you/your Dad's rescue.

I'm sure that if you post some more details and ideally some pictures of the car on here someone will be interested in taking on such a project. IMO your best hope is that a private buyer will come forward.

There's been a lot of discussion on here in the past about the ideal 911 being a Gen1 997S with a newly rebuilt engine and donor cars don't come up very often.

Keep an eye on your 'private message inbox'

Good Luck :thumb:

Sorry to hear the news.

I would have a word with Hartech and Portiacraft, who are both well-respected and seem to repair and sell similar cars.

Worth doing the maths though, and compare the sort of offers you might get for the car as is, vs the rebuild costs.

Whilst the 'belt and braces' solution is a full 6 cyl rebuild, there are other cheaper options such as simply repairing one bank of damaged cylinders, which would mean your father could carry on enjoying the car, or at least get it into a readily saleable state, though I appreciate you and your father may not want the hassle.

Fingers crossed it works out as well as possible for your father.

I think your best option is to get it repaired and then decide whether to sell of keep. You will get a worse deal to sell as is, rather than to fix it first and then try to sell it on.

chowgar said:
I think your best option is to get it repaired and then decide whether to sell of keep. You will get a worse deal to sell as is, rather than to fix it first and then try to sell it on.

Good call. Think you will get derisory offers if you try and sell as it is. Best, perhaps, to make some enquiries from indie's about a repair and seriously consider getting it done. Going to be easier to sell a runner and you will have some guarantees to offer a prospective buyer.

Another one I've missed :( Is this the one that was on ebay (plate ends GXP)? Either way, ebay auctions seem to do fairly well on these if you don't want to get it fixed yourself. If you are getting it fixed, only doing 3 cylinders doesn't seem to be received by potential buyers as well as doing all 6 when you eventually come to sell...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back