Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Finding out details of a Cat D

CB911C4S

Monza
Hi
I bought a Cat D car - I know there are those who would and those who would never touch a Cat D, but I did and so far I'm very happy with it.

I have tried to be a sleuth in finding out what happened to the car as it was registered Cat D in 2011. Data privacy is certainly not helping matters, and I have tried contacting the OPCs as well as independents who serviced the car, but nobody has any info on the Cat D. Interestingly it was serviced by an OPC and the "incident" happened the day after! But I don't have that invoice and the OPC claims they made a major system update and "lost" records from that period.

I have contacted the approved Porsche bodywork companies in the broad area where it was registered, but no joy - even though they were very quick to respond.

It does seem crazy that this type of damage is registered but very difficult to track down. In some way it doesn't really matter if the car is driving beautifully, I'm very happy with it, and I got it for a good price. But if I can find out, I would love to know and complete the story behind the car (just thinking of that next upgrade!).

Has anybody got any ideas of how to find out more information?

Thanks
Chris

Try tapping up the old owners from the paperwork file?!

I actually saw my old Cayman on Pistonheads and approached the previous owner. Was great to get some background, he even sent me some bits he had for her lying around.

Hi Chris

I have just not long bought a Cat D 4S!! recorded in 2012, must of been a bad year for it. I looked through all the old paperwork and pieced together that it had been front end damage, someone had ordered new frunk liner and clips. I tried contacting the previous garages who serviced it with no luck. Agree its very poor that the details arent listed with the categorisation, would make it easier to make an informed choice. I took the view that if it was still running ok after 8 years then worth a punt. Sadly I have now discovered that the damage was not very well repaired and has been causing leaking issues, taking it back to the supplying dealer tomorrow and see what they say, but looks like I will just need to chalk it up to getting a bit giddy when buying it and convincing myself I knew better.........

Hope you have better luck

Sorry to hear you have a problem - I hope the dealer sorts it. Please tell me what happens. My dealer thought my Cat D was front end because they took the opportunity to put on an Aero type front, but who knows?
Unfortunately my paperwork as in invoices only go back to 2016 so a little difficult to piece it together!
I have to say that I drove the car and bought it immediately without any further checks - it was from a reputable Porsche independent and I put my faith in that. If I had read more about 997.1s on this forum and how lots of people have PPIs before buying, I may have had second thoughts.
But it's been worth it so far for every smile it's put on my face and making driving fun again.

I have sent a letter to the previous owner as he bought it about five years after the Cat D. I have asked PCGB but they didn't have any record of a previous owner associated with the car.

I have also sent a V888 to DVLA to get information the owner at time of Cat D, but I'm not holding my breath on getting anything back.

I don't know if Porsche GB tracks vehicles through any OPC work?

The DVLA have scrapped the 'Fee Paying Enquiry" service now so getting info on previous keepers on nigh on impossible unfortunately.
You'll only get info it's due to the result of an accident etc.

Unfortunately unless the guy that repaired the car keeps photos and records, you'll never know the full extent of what was done. That's why Cat damaged cars are a hard sell.

Best thing you do can on valuable stuff, I'm probably talking about more valuable than a 997.1, is get it Autolign inspected. They'll spot where the damage was and inspect all repairs. If the repairs are good enough they can then reclassify the car as 'Condition inspected" rather than 'Cat D" etc.

I probably wouldn't bother as it's still a crashed car at the end of the day, but it may put future buyers minds a bit more at ease.

https://www.autolign.co.uk/

As we all know, Cat cars are a total minefield, unless as I've said you have pics etc. Even then the car can be made more pretty before any pics are taken, to hide how badly it was actually damaged. Good luck.

CB911C4S said:
........ I don't know if Porsche GB tracks vehicles through any OPC work?

Porsche GB would only know about cars that have been serviced at their own OPCs. Many of the UK OPCs are franchises and their service records aren't shared automatically with others.

The difficulties in finding the full history behind a Cat car is one of the reasons why values are 25-35% less and why most people avoid them. If you bought at the right price and are happy with the car, well done.

Thanks for input. Good to know about Autoalign, DVLA and what Porsche GB might have.
I took the chance with the car because I thought I would hold onto it for a few years, and no reason why I won't. I'm still loving it but now I'm addicted to the world of Porsche, I can't help looking at what I might upgrade to :D

Hi

You do have the option of inspecting the car very carefully and finding the damage yourself, if there is any, and if it is meaningful bodywork related you can usually tell somewhere. Paint thickness gauges might be a good start.

I have a CATD 986, the previous owner said it was something to do with a vandalised roof, and said he had reversed it into a post, but actually once I had the rear bumper off I could see it had taken a whack to the very rear corner of the car. Nothing major.

Best of luck

Berni

My last 996 and my red 986 were both cat d and both sold for normal market price because I demonstrated in both cases that they had been repaired properly and had been worked on by someone with mechanical knowledge.
Just my experience :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back