Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ferrari slap to the head

don0301

Trainee
Bought my 488 Spider from Ferrari Manchester. 5 years old with 11000 miles. Emailed complaint about really badly squealing brakes after a short period.

Took my 488 Spider to Ferrari Swindon Aug 21st for a service(free) and 1 complaint, really badly squealing brakes.

Swindon agree rear brakes really loud due to rear pad material working away from back plate, Manchester initially refuse to pay. After intervention by me, they agree.

After rear pads replaced, new test drive Swindon say front brakes squealing they couldn't hear before due to rear brakes. Manchester agree to replace.

Now, 3.5 weeks at Swindon, fronts are still squealing Swindon won't release car to me saying to replace front discs, Manchester refusing to pay.

My first supercar experience...:/

When did you buy it, and how many miles have you put on it since then?

Bought it end of June, was delivered directly to Topaz in Bristol for full PPF, went on a 4 day road trip with friends immediately after that. After road trip I emailed them about the squealing, it was really bad. Otherwise basically loved the car.

Put approx 1000 miles on it

Emailed them after trip about it, due to delays (they damaged a wheel prior to delivery) hard to find local place to repair wheel, waited for service before it went to a Ferrari dealer, thinking at this price all would be ok.

Basically Swindon won't release car as they think it's not right (no input from me other than initial complaint), Manchester won't pay for discs.

You could pay for the repairs yourself and then take the invoice over to Manchester, and unlock the impasse, assuming you want to drive the car. Just get a full written diagnosis / report and method statement from Swindon on the installation per factory guidance to support your claim.

I think these things generally go better when you take the car back to the supplying dealer.

I’d have difficulty accepting that Swindon have any right to deny me my car.

So Swindon have had the car for a service for 3.5 weeks, and they’ve only now discovered the front discs are faulty?
On that basis they sound hopeless/untrustworthy..

So far Manchester have done what they’ve been asked, and are probably coming to the same conclusion after this time and continuing ‘discoveries’.

Get the car and have the brakes inspected by a third party and take it from there, or get Manchester to look at it. Unfortunately time and mileage aren’t on your side, so good luck!

I didn't mean Swindon wouldn't release the car to me, I meant they aren't happy to release the car as it's still squealing.

ie they think the front discs need replacing.

Manchester have now proposed to collect the car and check themselves but I'm suspicious they'll just say fixed or that it's "normal"

Anyway they are having a meeting on Tuesday (people away) to discuss the way forward.

NOT the experience I expected buying from a franchise.

don0301 said:
Manchester have now proposed to collect the car and check themselves but I'm suspicious they'll just say fixed or that it's "normal"

Manchester seem to be doing what they are required to do. When you get it back it's up to you to decide whether it's been fixed to your satisfaction.

NB: There must be a 'manufacturers tolerance' on disc thickness. They either comply or they don't.

Hi

I'll wait and see what comes out of the Tuesday meeting.

Thanks for all replies.

They’re surely ceramic, so it won’t be that they have worn below thickness. Just that they squeal, like ceramics often do.

Magic919 said:
They’re surely ceramic, so it won’t be that they have worn below thickness. Just that they squeal, like ceramics often do.

:bonk:

MaxA said:
You could pay for the repairs yourself and then take the invoice over to Manchester, and unlock the impasse, assuming you want to drive the car. Just get a full written diagnosis / report and method statement from Swindon on the installation per factory guidance to support your claim.

Just a note to say, don't ever do this without the written consent of the party who you're expecting to settle the invoice / reimburse you and make sure the value is also agreed. You can't just spend a dealer's money for them without their authority, and without prior agreement they will be under no obligation to pay.

You'd like to think at this level of product the "brand" would want to resolve and ensure a happy customer but given that Ferrari Manchester is Stratstone and Ferrari Swindon is Dick Lovett, they may have different labour rates and the supplying dealer may be unwilling to line the pockets of a competitor. Basically unless agreed otherwise, the onus is on the supplying dealer to remedy or authorise elsewhere.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back