Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fallen out of love with Porsche and gone back to first love

Re: Fallen out of love with Porsche and gone back to first l

Albionmuz said:
Look on the bright side, I won't be polluting the United/Liverpool football thread much longer :)

Oh no you don't! That thread depends on us pollutants maintaining a sense of reality! :hand:

He will be back posting, he is fooling him self if he thinks he will be able to stay away.......apart from City romping to the title it will be an exciting climax to the season :roll:

I'll be interested to here how the Stelvio is in the real world as an alternative to the Macan & RR Sport as a luxury / sporty SUV :thumb:

jonttt said:
He will be back posting, he is fooling him self if he thinks he will be able to stay away.......apart from City romping to the title it will be an exciting climax to the season :roll:

I'll be interested to here how the Stelvio is in the real world as an alternative to the Macan & RR Sport as a luxury / sporty SUV :thumb:

I will definitely see this season out! We have United on Sunday and still have City to play and as you say it's going to be exciting from second down and at the bottom! No way are we safe yet

Re the Stelvio, my only worry is the size. You can chuck it about but it is SO wide! Roads down here are narrow and most SUV drivers can't stay on their side of the road! I have moaned about it for years but I kind of get it now.

I still have the GTV if I want some small car fun though :D

Thats why I ended up with the Evoque as a family wagon.....SWMBO just will not drive anything bigger ......in fact she still explores the boundaries of that :roll:

The 'compromise" was that if she would not let me get a sporty SUV I should have a boxster on the drive to compensate :grin:

They need to factor in a width tax on big motors. Personally I would also bring in a weight tax. I can't get my head around the oxymoron of a greener planet with more efficient engines but all the time cars are getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier.

All these big SUVs are fine on wide roads but on country lanes and residential streets it just means having to constantly give way to oncoming cars. In the meantime everyone is just getting fatter. They dont even have to burn any energy closing the boot..... :roll:

I have never driven an Alfa but always quite fancied having a go in the little one (???) that has been re-engineered in the UK but costs a fortune. Chris Harris really rated it as a 'driver's car'.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
They need to factor in a width tax on big motors. Personally I would also bring in a weight tax. I can't get my head around the oxymoron of a greener planet with more efficient engines but all the time cars are getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier.

All these big SUVs are fine on wide roads but on country lanes and residential streets it just means having to constantly give way to oncoming cars. In the meantime everyone is just getting fatter. They dont even have to burn any energy closing the boot..... :roll:

I have never driven an Alfa but always quite fancied having a go in the little one (???) that has been re-engineered in the UK but costs a fortune. Chris Harris really rated it as a 'driver's car'.

Pip

Even though I now have one I tend to agree with you re SUVs

Anyhoo, you have given me an excuse to post this :D

https://youtu.be/9BuZmJmpTdk

Stelvio now sold and not too big a hit to trade in a 3 year old car for a new one. It is FABULOUS and handles better than any saloon and most sports cars that I have ever driven. Comes with a 3 year warranty and a 4 year service package.

Couldn't get a photo of the actual car to load so used a stock one in the same colour - Alfa Giulia Estrema

Attachments

• 6f19028c_0a02_4b29_95e4_05328d36df9c_176.jpeg
    6f19028c_0a02_4b29_95e4_05328d36df9c_176.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 515
There is an issue with the cost of 'genuine' parts - I needed a driveshaft for my R53 Mini and my independent quoted 500eur for the short one (my driver's side). Not including labour. That's madness for a 2006 car. I daren't even ask the official dealer for a quote for the sake of my own health. In the aftermarket, these range from 50-150eur and so I sourced a decent one and we fitted it ourselves. :dont know:

As to the Alfa thing, I'd quite fancy an Alfa Giulia (the Veloce?) as a daily - I've never had a saloon car in all my years - but I'd only get one on lease so I could give it back if it does wrong. In my view a great spec would be dark blue, chrome shield and trim, those nice big telephone dial rims in bright silver, and a mid brown leather interior. No idea if they even offer that, but that would be my ideal spec.

If only they did an estate. I loved my 159 but its the only saloon Ive ever had and sold after 2 months as it was so impractical compared to the hatches and estates Ive always had. Slow as hell as well but glad Ive had one.

New ones look amazing,

MaxA said:
There is an issue with the cost of 'genuine' parts - I needed a driveshaft for my R53 Mini and my independent quoted 500eur for the short one (my driver's side). Not including labour. That's madness for a 2006 car. I daren't even ask the official dealer for a quote for the sake of my own health. In the aftermarket, these range from 50-150eur and so I sourced a decent one and we fitted it ourselves. :dont know:

As to the Alfa thing, I'd quite fancy an Alfa Giulia (the Veloce?) as a daily - I've never had a saloon car in all my years - but I'd only get one on lease so I could give it back if it does wrong. In my view a great spec would be dark blue, chrome shield and trim, those nice big telephone dial rims in bright silver, and a mid brown leather interior. No idea if they even offer that, but that would be my ideal spec.

I too would have preferred an estate in an ideal world,

Since they have been taken over by Stellantis the options have been reduced dramatically, colours, interior colours and materials and wheels which mostly come in one style depending on the model. It's a shame and why I went for the Estrema in Rosso. Comes with a Quadrifoglio interior of alcantara and leather, loads of carbon fibre on the interior, leather covered dash, door trims, gearknob, all with red stitching. Best of all the Quadrifoglio 5 hole anthracite alloys.

I was intending to buy a Tonale PHEV but I am totally underwhelmed by the look and what I consider a bit of a shoddy interior.

I'll have to have a look at my local dealer's configurator...

MaxA said:
I'll have to have a look at my local dealer's configurator...

Have a look at the cars available at Thames Motor Group in Slough, they have a bigger selection than most and having bought two cars from them can recommend them.

If you join the Alfa Romeo owners club you will get a decent discount off a new Alfa, on top of whatever ever else you negotiate after being a member for six months.

I appreciate the support but I live just outside Helsinki, in the left hand drive world, but it seems from the website that my local dealer only now sells a Veloce or a Veloce Ti (the one with the 19" QF rims and interior), but that they would still sell me a Monte Carlo (dark) blue for 780e extra over base red or white.

MaxA said:
I appreciate the support but I live just outside Helsinki, in the left hand drive world, but it seems from the website that my local dealer only now sells a Veloce or a Veloce Ti (the one with the 19" QF rims and interior), but that they would still sell me a Monte Carlo (dark) blue for 780e extra over base red or white.

Ah, didn't notice that!

Yes, you are seeing the shrinking options from the Stellantis takeover. They have stopped the configuration of new Estremas too now. There is a minor facelift coming for the Giulia and Stelvio called the competitzione but again in very limited colours and specs I believe.

I worry for Alfa Romeo under Stellantis, if the Tonale doesn't sell well they have enough other brands to wind Alfa up :sad:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back