Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

F1 really is the pits

FZP said:
But the underlying point is this. In the 10 years or so that record has stood, they've not gone any faster and spent billions in trying to go faster. So what have they actually achieved for the sport? Less exciting, less noise and less interested fans. It certainly hasn't improved the show

Don't disagree on first point but that's hardly representative of the full picture. The cars would have been extremely, phenomenally fast, if development would have entered the same sphere as say Group B rally cars, but we all know where that ended up, and look at rally now.

But to match the pace of the earlier cars the modern cars have to do it on fuel loads that are significantly lower and with a 1.6 litre v6 versus a whopping great v12 or v10. With that reliability is up so much that 5-6 engines a season is doable versus an earlier era where 5-6 engines was one race weekend. If that's not progress for you, and adaptable repeatable progress for road cars of the future, then I don't know what you're looking for.

I understand that it has its limitations but if you want an arms race then sorry, no manufacturer is interested, and to spark one would be the end of F1 and other forms of motorsport that are at least partially relevant. Nobody would buy the cars. Nobody is interested in cars with ICE these days. There's just us old guard left.

BTCC is the same. The 80/90 period yielded the watch on Sunday buy on Monday tag line. Do you think people are lining up to buy a Chevrolet because of BTCC these days?

F1 might not be perfect but be careful what you wish for.

well we don't want much, just what we had before, a bit of exciting sport.

what do you mean nobody wants ICE anymore? (i know what ice is)

Palladium said:

In Car Entertainment, usually provided by a flat 6 for Porsche drivers :grin:

They can keep their Duracell powered engines as far as I`m concerned :judge:

Palladium said:

Again, I don't disagree with the sentiment at all. My point was that progress has been made with the cars and the speed they have is phenomenal given the reliability and fuel restrictions they have. It's the restrictions that are part of the ruining of the race (lift and coast) but it's the main reason Renault, Mercedes and Honda are in the game these days; translatable development.

If they took some wing reliance away to aid the cars being able to follow closer then the racing would probably improve but the cars would be slower and less demanding to drive, and that wouldn't please fans either. It's a bit catch 22.

As for ICE it's not cool for kids any more. The younger contingent of my office think the 911 is ancient and the Tesla is the nuts. The death of diesel might shake things up a bit but the race, generally, has been to the bottom on petrol - my old man's a petrol head and has just bought a new Civic. It's a 1 litre 3 cylinder :lol: I wouldn't buy that tosh, I wouldn't take it if it were given me. But we live In a world where 4 pot ecotec engines are fitted in Mustangs and are outselling v8's.

We have just over a couple of decades left and then we're all going to be driving a kettle.

Corrected that for you as a lot of us are already driving kettles. :)

arry said:
........... We have just over a couple of decades left and then we're all going to be driving lawnmowers.

.....that's assuming the driverless car brigade don't get there first :eek:

ok so f1 is a bore, but at least the neck tattoo, the nose stud, and earrings excite people, its something i suppose.

I would like to see those ridiculous lumps of furniture ahead of the front wheels removed. Single plane wing within the inner tyre walls would hopefully produce something that can follow and race. F1 does not need to be a esoteric excersize in aerodynamics.

Perhaps we are not a very representative bunch of people. If i briefly watch the first couple of laps of a so called F1 'race' i see masses of fans in the crowd, and i suspect that the global tv audience is massive.

I am a big MotoGP fan and miss the old school proper rorting F1 cars of 25 years ago.
Cheers
Rick

segart said:
Perhaps we are not a very representative bunch of people. If i briefly watch the first couple of laps of a so called F1 'race' i see masses of fans in the crowd, and i suspect that the global tv audience is massive.

I am a big MotoGP fan and miss the old school proper rorting F1 cars of 25 years ago.
Cheers
Rick

sheep

big brother and jungle baloney have massive audiences aswell

The decline in the excitement of F1 is mirrored by the decline in quality of the presenters. How on earth did C4 come to chose Steve Jones to front the programme? With a background in modelling, fashion & presenting tacky game shows it is obvious he has absolutely no knowledge of the sport. In the early shows the expressions on Coulthard's face at times was worth tuning in for alone. C4 should ditch him & stick with Coulthard & Webber alone.

GARY S said:
The decline in the excitement of F1 is mirrored by the decline in quality of the presenters. How on earth did C4 come to chose Steve Jones to front the programme? With a background in modelling, fashion & presenting tacky game shows it is obvious he has absolutely no knowledge of the sport. In the early shows the expressions on Coulthard's face at times was worth tuning in for alone. C4 should ditch him & stick with Coulthard & Webber alone.

:yeah:

Can`t stand the bloke :wack:

Bring back Suzy Perry, at least we had something to look at :p

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back