Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

European 5 day trip - 993 makes it without major mishap

A993LAD

Hockenheim
I'm just back from a quick jaunt through france into Switzerland to take in a couple of alpine passes and back.

We drove some really great roads so if I get a few minutes I might create a quick blog with the route/accommodation details etc and some photos. If I do I will post a link on here in case anyone's interested.

In the meantime I thought I would just create a quick post to say that the odometer in our old 1994 993 cabrio clicked over the 120k milestone during the trip and despite my nervousness beforehand about being so far from home the 993 performed brilliantly.

So after 1,800 miles and five days driving I thought of a couple of minor things to mention.

Heat - by God it was hot, even hotter than here, so I wish I had paid some attention to fixing the air con or at least trying to. We've owned the car for nearly 3 years and the air con has never really worked properly but because the temperature isn't that high in UK usually, even in the summer, and whole point of the cab is having the roof open I never bothered to try and fix it or even re-gas it to see where the problem lies. Having now experienced 40° heat in the car I might just see if the air con can be repaired.
Any tips on where to start with this gratefully received. I thought a simple regass to start with?

Becker satnav - the car has a decent Becker Indy pro fitted and I've always used the radio/phone/Bluetooth/iPod/tune2air functionality and been very pleased with those. But I've never much bothered with the satnav because frankly it's not very intuitive which makes it difficult to use unless you can be bothered to read the instructions. However my Garmin cheap satnav only has UK maps and as the Becker came with a complete set of European discs I decided to persevere and give it a go. It worked really well and at least now I know how to use it. It's a bit annoying sometimes trying to use a satnav where you can't see a map but hey Ho at least it's always in the car.

Cab roof - in the years we've owned the car I've always been mystified by how the electric roof works but also terrified that it looks and sounds so Heath Robinson that I expect it to break at any time. Anyway sods law decreed that whilst it has always worked perfectly across three years in the UK - it ground to a halt, half open, with a nasty snapping sound on the second day of our trip! Luckily I had read about the quick fix in loosening the drive bolts on either side and operating the roof manually so we just did that for the rest of the trip. Anyway I've just spent a less than glamorous but vaguely interesting weekend stripping the whole thing down and fixing the electric mechanism. Thanks to a number of contributors on Rennlist and applying my limited mechanical capabilities I'm delighted to have fixed the roof and might create a separate thread on here for cab owners that combines my limited knowledge with some of the links that I found useful.

All in all a great car to drive on some amazing roads. But I guess you all knew that already!

On the fourth day I mentioned to the wife that we hadn't seen a single other air cooled 911. 5 mins later we saw another 993 cab going in the opposite direction on the Furka pass and then another (again a cab) 10 mins after that - like London buses!!!

Mandatory Reims pit photo and typical French D road below..............

Attachments

• france993_146.jpg
    france993_146.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 6,047
  • 2015_07_06_180950_750.jpg
    2015_07_06_180950_750.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5,994
sounds familiar re the roof .. took my old 993 cab down to the Alsace region a few years .... 2nd day , wife went to open the roof & the same thing, a snap and teh rood stuck half open .. always happens at the most inappropriate moments

Loosened the bolts & kept it as a manual hood for the rest of my ownership :D

:thumb:

I did the D996 and Reims Gueux myself last year. An awesome trip. :cloud9:

T8 said:

Indeed, D996 was fantastic.

Even ended up on the D968 and the D944

I'm guessing there must be a D993 somewhere but never encountered it.

Amazing to have such great, flowing, well surfaced roads with practically zero traffic.

A993LAD said:
T8 said:

Indeed, D996 was fantastic.

Even ended up on the D968 and the D944

I'm guessing there must be a D993 somewhere but never encountered it.

Amazing to have such great, flowing, well surfaced roads with practically zero traffic.

Its the zero traffic don't you think? It just makes a driving holiday abroad so worth the ferry cost, and me so unhappy when I get off the ferry when I'm back in the UK, endless lines of cars, wherever you are.

Glad you had a great trip OP.

I'll hopefully be in France & Spain in September in my 993, complete new suspension installed ..... 100% of it, every damn bit. Hopefully she'll be driving like a new car on the fabulous tarmac of the Pyrenees.

A993LAD said:
I'm just back from a quick jaunt through france into Switzerland to take in a couple of alpine passes and back.

We drove some really great roads so if I get a few minutes I might create a quick blog with the route/accommodation details etc and some photos. If I do I will post a link on here in case anyone's interested.

Road trip blogs are always good :thumb:

A993LAD said:

I'd be interested :thumb:

If anyone else would be interested, I'd be interested in a boys trip sometime?

wozy said:
A993LAD said:
T8 said:

I'll hopefully be in France & Spain in September in my 993, complete new suspension installed ..... 100% of it, every damn bit. Hopefully she'll be driving like a new car on the fabulous tarmac of the Pyrenees.

If you find yourself in my neck of the woods let me know and we could meet up. I'm just outside Denia on the Costa Blanca.

Regarding the problems with the top I think the gear boxes last about 15 years, I had mine replaced 5 years ago and having lived in hot weather countries my top was / is up and down like a whores drawers :D

Today we hit 42C on the Costa Blanca. I went into Denia to get new front tyres, the A/C was perfect, I didn't break into a sweat until I got out of the car at the tyre fitters. If the A/C is working correctly it is excellent.

To me 42C is a breeze after the 52C I used to get in Q8, God I love living in Spain 8)

ATB :)

[

Heat - by God it was hot, even hotter than here, so I wish I had paid some attention to fixing the air con or at least trying to. We've owned the car for nearly 3 years and the air con has never really worked properly but because the temperature isn't that high in UK usually, even in the summer, and whole point of the cab is having the roof open I never bothered to try and fix it or even re-gas it to see where the problem lies. Having now experienced 40° heat in the car I might just see if the air con can be repaired.
Any tips on where to start with this gratefully received. I thought a simple regass to start with?

One of the better things that Kwick-fit do is an a/c regass and its not expensive. The machine will also test for leaks, but finding and curing them can be difficult and expensive. Pipes (twice on mine), condenser (common) and pump (also on mine). The seals will probably not be as it hasn't worked for a while. Very glad to have mine working in this recent humid weather.
Luckily I have a very good a/c guy quite close to me (Jim @ Chillout, nr. Preston)

Kimbo said:
If anyone else would be interested, I'd be interested in a boys trip sometime?

Excellent.

In an attempt to retain people's interest I'm adding a picture of the Furka Pass taken from the Grimsel Pass. At least I think that's the one but we did so many Alpine roads I'm not absolutely sure.

And another picture of the "busy" D996 through france

And a similarly crowded swiss road into the Alps

I was baffled why they spend so much on such great roads when so little traffic uses them. Good for us though!

Attachments

• furka_439.jpg
    furka_439.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 5,514
  • d996_792.jpg
    d996_792.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 5,509
  • swiss_roll_120.jpg
    swiss_roll_120.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 5,509

:cloud9:

New Threads