Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine cuts out - suggestions?

johnty1

Trainee
A couple of weeks ago, just tootling along at 30, the engine suddenly cut out on me. Pulled over, tried a restart three or four times, but it didn't fire up.
I sat there wondering what to do for a good few minutes then tried again - fired up straight away and no further problems until yesterday.

Again, just purring along a straight road at about 30ish and it cut out again. No luck in restarting; swapped the spare dme relay I had in the car but that made no difference. Luckily I'd rolled to a halt near a bus stop, so got a bus into Chester to do what I was going to do and returned to the car a couple of hours later. Started first time.

One more cut out on the way home, this time sat waiting at a traffic light. Suffered the indignity of having to push the car to the side, and again a few
failed starting attempts followed by a waiting period and she fired up again, and home with no further issue.
Apart from the possibility that I have two faulty relays, any suggestions for what to check out?

Hi,

Could you have picked up some bad fuel? when did you last change the fuel filter? It sounds a bit like a fuel issue or something is getting hot and breaking down. Two faulty relays, possible but unlikely in my opinion but worth trying one more for what they cost.

Hope you get it sorted.

ATB :)

If (either) the DME relay is not working, then the tach does not bounce.

(or is it the other way around - can someone remember?)

It is entirely possible that you have two duff relays, or the connection in the fusebox is slightly loose/corroded/something, so next time it happens:

1) whilst cranking, look at the tach and remember what it does
2) swop the relays over, tap them, whatever.

had something similar before .. turned out to be a failure in the solder on the circuitboard of the aftermarket immobiliser.

Fuel filter is certainly plausible, although is normally indicated by a more gradual loss of power as the fuel flow becomes more restricted by the contaminates. The filter is very often overlooked in cars which get a "12 month service". If you have picked up a bad batch of fuel, it could act more quickly I suppose. Have a look at your coil packs too, they can crack, and as heat builds in the engine bay, the cracks open and can cause these issues. When the motor cools, the crack closes enabling the cycle to start again.

Dodgy battery earth strap or an earth somewhere else. Has the engine loom been changed under the recall program?

Had a similar thing recently accept mine wouldn't restart after 2nd time it did it. Was a corroded battery cable

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it's a fuel issue - I had a superb weekend run down to the Cotswolds and a full tank of fuel in between the incidents.

I'll check the battery lead and try a new relay to start with. Further checks will have to wait until this problem arises again.
Coil packs: I'll take a look at them, even though I'm not really sure what I'm looking for...

cheers

johnty1 said:
Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it's a fuel issue - I had a superb weekend run down to the Cotswolds and a full tank of fuel in between the incidents.

I'll check the battery lead and try a new relay to start with. Further checks will have to wait until this problem arises again.
Coil packs: I'll take a look at them, even though I'm not really sure what I'm looking for...

cheers
rather than trying to explain.......just google them and all will become clear..................

sam said:
rather than trying to explain.......just google them and all will become clear..................

Ah, ok, got it. I was just unfamiliar with the terminology

thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back