Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Durametric, PST2, PIWIS type code/fault reader (£15-£30)

p4cks said:
Linda said:
I have tried again (I dont have the cable yet) but it seems to have installed, to the point that I have icon on my desktop and when I double click I get the "The durametric device is not plugged in or driver not installed correctly"

I assume that means its all installed OK?

No. I got/get the same even after uninstalling and reinstalling everything.

Sorry, just to be clear, how far do you get downloading the software?

At what point do you get the error messages?

I get the Durametric software downloaded and there's a shortcut on my desktop, however when I double click it with the cable connected I get the same error message you are getting. Same thing happens when I plugged it into my car.

What OS are you running?

AFAIK pre 4.3 may not be 64bit compliant.

Vista (Service Pack 2)
32 bit

I can't see for the life of me why it wouldn't work :(

I have it installed on the same (and Windows ME)

WHy did you not want to use ver5? (did I miss that bit?)

But it might be worth checking is ver3 gives you no functionality.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have read through all the posts but still a little confused and wanted to validate my understanding:

1) Purchase a third party cable.
There were two linked to, one no longer stocks it and the other says it does not support cars after 2004 (according to the seller in the reviews tab). http://www.cardiag.co.uk/porsche-piwis-cable-207.htm

Has anyone found a good quality cable that works with a 2001-2005 996 Turbo ?

2) I understand that the latest version of the Durametric software that will work with these cables is 5.0.0 i.e. neither of the two version currently hosted on the Durametric site.

Does the 5.0.0 version without throwing any errors due to the 3rd party cable ?

Where can you get the 5.0.0 version ?
If not, what is the last version that is freely available and works with these 3rd party cables ?

Thanks for your help guys

I bought one of these on the 21st June, and it arrived yesterday:

It came with Durametric 3 and allowed me to read and clear engine ECU fault codes on my 1999 996 C2. Let me read and log a load of ECU info.

It doesn't seem to be reading the ABS ECU for some reason, I think thats par for the course with a cheapo cable.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-with-multi-functions-and-good/650414860.html

Cost me about £13

Thanks Wasz, useful feedback

Wasz, quick question, which version of Windows are you running v3 under ?

Spy said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have read through all the posts but still a little confused and wanted to validate my understanding:

1) Purchase a third party cable.
There were two linked to, one no longer stocks it and the other says it does not support cars after 2004 (according to the seller in the reviews tab). http://www.cardiag.co.uk/porsche-piwis-cable-207.htm

Has anyone found a good quality cable that works with a 2001-2005 996 Turbo ?

2) I understand that the latest version of the Durametric software that will work with these cables is 5.0.0 i.e. neither of the two version currently hosted on the Durametric site.

Does the 5.0.0 version without throwing any errors due to the 3rd party cable ?

Where can you get the 5.0.0 version ?
If not, what is the last version that is freely available and works with these 3rd party cables ?

Thanks for your help guys

The 2004 reference is to model ranges after that date.

The DME on a 2001-2005 996 is identical protocol.

997 etc are not, and by definition, the earlier released software (3...5.0 etc) can't know about any new features or protocols.

There are really only three options:

Cheap clone @ £15
Durametic @ several hundred £
PIWIS @ several thousand £

The clones are not perfect, but are SOOOOO cheap it hardly matters.

A clone will still interact with a 997 for basic diagnostics, just don't expect it to enable PCM3

Is there a recommended, safe order to connect the Durametric up in order to minimise the risk of power surges down the cable ?

For example:
1) Boot up PC
2) Connect cable to OBD port
3) Connect cable to PC's USB port
4) Launch software ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back