Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Durametric, PST2, PIWIS type code/fault reader (£15-£30)

surfymark said:
Hi there!

Just about to order one of these as my car has a fault that I want to read.

Is one cable better than the other?

Which version of the software is best to download? I have Windows 7 32bit (installed as bootcamp on a Mac).

Many thanks
Mark

Just about to do the same with windows 7 also. Interested to hear opinions aswell.

R.

surfymark said:
Hi there!

Just about to order one of these as my car has a fault that I want to read.

Is one cable better than the other?

Which version of the software is best to download? I have Windows 7 32bit (installed as bootcamp on a Mac).

Many thanks
Mark

Just about to do the same with windows 7 also. Interested to hear opinions aswell.

R.

Is it worth it, or even possible to use a converter for those of us with OBD I rather than OBD II, on 94/95 993's?

Not really, even the later "OBD" socketed (but not OBDII compliant) have very little to look at.

I used to run one of those leads on XP on one laptop but couldn't get it to run on Windows 7.
Now both my laptops are on 7 I had to get it working and found a driver that doesn't usually get supplied with the CD. I'll try to find it again if anyone can't get it running on 7.

Mine works on the wives 64bit platform Windows 7 but won't work on my XP Pro... Mines the full fat job and is still temperamental...

Darren.

So which cable is best? Has anyone bought and used one of these?

And which version of the software will work best with my 996TT and Win 7?

cheers
Mark

When I read one of the ads it did say it would do the 996 T up do 2005 am I to take it it won't then work on a 997 T?

R.

GT4 said:
Spec as page one.

Right, never paid attention to the detail. Seen the year 2007 thought the DME would have a identical systems.

Is that accurate readout from your 6 GT4 - 25 thousand ignitions in RR1?

Yes, 68 seconds on the limiter during 1,604hrs lifetime (I suspect much of this was during my ownership on a couple of RR sessions the car went through - although I can't be sure as I didn't interrogate the DME prior to purchase or for three years of ownership).

No R2 excursions though (incorrect gear selection).

Cable/software should work with all 997.1 (although it is true the freely available software offers fewer options of the later paid/locked software - eg comfort settings, but all diagnostics/resets are available and engine data logging).

so for all the cost I would get some benefits from it for my 997.1. I had my DME interrogated after the event aswell but I believe more people are getting wise to it now. From all the internet reports I seen - and there were plenty - even cars with rev range 5 excursions had recorded thousands of miles thereafter and still running strong.

Someone made what I thought was a fair comment in relation to what if other manufacturer's made this info available to potential purchaser's across the market.

R.

There is no real issue to R1 counts (within reason), the R1 count is just the ignitions on the limiter (which is the fuel cut-off to protect the engine).

So at the R1 limit the engine is still being protected.

Of course all high rpm use creates higher stresses and quicker wear and tear than lower rpm use.

But it is a sports car engine and is designed (once warmed) to use its full performance envelope.

Just to clarify, 993 has no RR logs, 996 has two (R1,R2) and 997 has six (R1-R6).

R1 = fuel cut-off
R2 onwards = mis-selected gear (although it is true some instances of incorrect fuelling/MAF err and very high acceleration the engine can get just into R2 through fuel limiter)

Sometime glitches may occur that create negligible counts in higher ranges with no record of lower ranges (which is not physically possible).

It is all on the first post (or the links therein)

I have the eCrater one too (although the brand does not define the software version)..

v6 is locked (these cables work on the fact we are stealing the Durametric software for free and hence they dongle locked later vers)

Anyway, here is the pertinent info:

GT4 said:
I'm currently running Durametric software Version 3.0.15 January 9th 2007 (as I only have Windows ME on my spare laptop - don't ask).

Can run upto ver 5 on Windows XP onwards (download for free from www.durametric.com).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back