Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dropping m96 engine on your driveway

Shalmaneser

Montreal
Hi all,

I've been wanting to do my variocam sliders for a while now. Every oil change I get some bits of brown plastic in the filter and now that oil change time has come around I want to replace the source of these bits. Also going to take the opportunity to freshen some other bits up too, change some gaskets etc etc.

Has anybody successfully pulled their motor on the driveway. I have a decent enough space, and a garage too but it's not big enough for the car and all our crap. Plenty of space for the motor though. Planning on removing the complete inlet system, then dropping engine and gearbox onto wooden blocks then sliding out from under the car. How high do I need to lift the car to do this? Obviously will remove bumper and anything that will get in the way. Any tips or tricks much appreciated.

There's a few members on here who've done it in the past (if you do a search you'll find their posts) but for the work you're suggesting can be easily done with the engine in situ.

Did just that last year, very straightforward if you have the correct tools.

Firstly you will not believe how heavy the engine and box are!!!!!

Remove and refit both items as one unit.

I bought a pair of quick jacks to lift the car as you have unrestricted access under the car.

I used a pallet truck borrowed from a neighbour to drop the engine onto and then bought for £25 a transmission jack adaptor for a trolly jack to pop it back in.

When i do it again I will buy a hydraulic table as that is a far safer way to do things.

In summary, an easy job but only if you have the right tools.

Alex said:
There's a few members on here who've done it in the past (if you do a search you'll find their posts) but for the work you're suggesting can be easily done with the engine in situ.

I was under the impression one bank is inaccessible? I know it can be done one one side for sure...

mikeeb said:
Mine were done engine in but was on a ramp which obviously make life easier

I guess it would be OK if you know what you're doing but as this will be my first time I would feel more comfortable doing it in a relatively clean area.

Maybe I need to take another look at the job, not having to pull the engine would make life much easier! I guess lots of plastic sheeting would help reduce the shower of grit and mud I aways find myself under when fiddling with the engine.

left bank side variocam slider removal with the engine in the car for those interested:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106137&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=660

I can't think if the right bank is offset further forward or further back than the left bank?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back