Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door card and window mechanism renovation

A993LAD

Hockenheim
Hi gurus

Hope you are all enjoying the good weather

I can bear it no longer, there are so many rattles inside my driver's door I am going to have to bite the bullet and delve into the guts of the thing.

Any tips on the best way to remove the door card and sort out any issues within would be gratefully received.

Or any links to online resources that might be useful.

Cheers

Marc

I think I followed this one when I opened mine up the first time:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/pcar_com/doorpanel2.htm

I also seem to remember a few.posts on here about perished sound insulation on early cars disintegrating and rattling round the interior.

But before you start dismantling the door - have you had your suspension checked out recently? It's strange how a rattle originating from the suspension can travel through the car.

LondonRob said:
I think I followed this one when I opened mine up the first time:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/pcar_com/doorpanel2.htm

I also seem to remember a few.posts on here about perished sound insulation on early cars disintegrating and rattling round the interior.

But before you start dismantling the door - have you had your suspension checked out recently? It's strange how a rattle originating from the suspension can travel through the car.

Thanks. That's great, I'll whip the door card off and see what I find.

I've recently had new shocks and springs fitted so really happy with the suspension but it's now alerted me to other annoying rattles.

It's a cab so the first thing was the roof frame joints. I've now tightened all of those up but that in turn means I can now hear things rattling in both doors. Usually when I go over big bumps, potholes and sunken drain covers. Which on British roads is pretty much all of the time!

tbh if the roads were in decent repair the car would be fine.

It'll be interesting to get inside the door as I know these cars sometimes get rust in the window mechanism.

Hi, I found some loose sound deadening material in my doors lying at the bottom. I think it was sprayed on when the car was built. Over the years it had gone very hard and a piece or two had dropped off. Nothing major though. If anything is loose it will probably be the window gear. Good luck with the job :thumb:

ATB :)

Removing the door card is quite easy, all you need is a philips head screw driver and a 5 or 6mm hex for the door handle.

I've had a mine off a few times for various things like speakers and sound deadening. When I did the sound deadening I found my window rail was heavily rusted and someone in the past had bonded the window to the rusty rail as a quick fix, it was the same on both sides. New rails were £150 each:(

Have a look on my instagram page (link below) and scroll back to Jan 21 if you want to see the state of them.

As said above the insulation is probably shot, worth ordering in some dynamat or killmat or similar to replace it and deaden some of that road noise.

Good luck :thumb:

Very helpful, many thanks.

It will be interesting to see the state of the window winding mechanism. I fear the worst as it's a 140k miles car that is no garage queen!

As others have stated, P-car.com for instructions on removing the door card. It's all quite straightforward. Remove the moisture barrier carefully so you can reuse it.

The sound deadening on the inside of the door is the bitumen type. This will have hardened, fragmented and will mostly be ratting around the bottom of the door. Scraping the remnants froth door is quite time consuming. I replaced it with the Dynamite style self adhesive foil type.

I only did the driver's door as I ran out of time. The difference between the two is quite noticeable.

This has reminded me that I have the other to do.

pp

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back