Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Debris in oil - can you identify?

The tappets on the 3.4 are used on loads of different cars aren't they, its almost like the pre variocam plus block was machined to take a pre-existing tappet. I seem to remember them being used on Kia's too..

By comparison, half a dozen inlet tappets for my turbo cost the thick end of £1k! :what:

So I rotated the engine by hand bit by bit to see any issues with crank and I found this very small section where it does appear the crank has been rubbing ever so slightly.
I moved a screw driver across the groves on the bit before and after and they did seem less pronounced in the small leading section.

If that is it what it is what could it be rubbing on, is there anything with a very close clearance to it?

Attachments

• img_20171129_204707_805.jpg
    img_20171129_204707_805.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4,184
  • img_20171129_204607_141.jpg
    img_20171129_204607_141.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 4,184
The crankshaft cage the crank sits in has quite close tolerances but nothing too much to actually touch or be very close, if this has happened this would have been done in the first few revolutions of a newly built engine I would assume and not something that would get worse with time.
In theory the damage may have been done and nothing else will get worse than it is, hopefully if this is where your debris is from they may have been in the engine for a while.

This is how the crankshaft sits in its cage and doesn't protrude from this, it can only have caught on the cage or something got wedged in there, if this is what has happened?

38699120142_d456f377c5_z.jpg

Tempted to get tensioners looked at then run it for a little using a magnetic sump plug for a little while and see if it continues to produce these flakes as I agree it may have been in there since day 1 and not been removed completely.

coullstar said:
Tempted to get tensioners looked at then run it for a little using a magnetic sump plug for a little while and see if it continues to produce these flakes as I agree it may have been in there since day 1 and not been removed completely.

I'm swaying towards this now, tensioners and cam chain pads looked at/replaced and see how it goes with any pick up on the magnetic sump plug as it will pick everything metallic up in the sump, if you are confident that the debris is from the crankshaft.

Total area of the metal pieces I've found is very similar to that area on the crank I found.

It would account for the markings as well and the fact that no one has ever seen the sort of flakes before. The colour could be down to oil staining as well.

Looks like you've found the source, great work :thumb:

I can't tell the orientation from your pic but is that web the leading edge for the cranks rotation (so the the pulley -if it could be seen- in your pic is to the left and flywheel to the right?) as if it is then this would help confirm what might have caused this could be casting defect on the crank carrier for that web which took a chunk off on first start.

The cranks are forged using sintered powder so the other theory could be there was an issue during manufacture with the microstructure in that web which simply came away in use.

Gives a bit more confidence that you should be ok once the other issues are fixed.

Have the tensioners removed and inspected, I would think they are the updated versions with internal springs. They are so simple there's not much in them that can fail other than a broken spring or binding issue.

Harv said:
Looks like you've found the source, great work :thumb:

+1 :thumb:

Best of luck with the fix. Hope it won't be too costly.

Okay sump back on this afternoon then I'll add oil tomorrow after letting sealant have a good set. Magnetic sump plug added.

One question though is the car has been sat for about a week with no oil so is it prudent to prime the car or just fill and wait another day or so before starting regards the tensioners?

Could you not just pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over to pressurise tensioners then go from there, filling and leaving I don't think will do much if anything.

Good work by the way.

Sounds exactly the same as what you are experiencing. If in doubt then just pull the sump again, it's only 20 bolts or so and some sealant.

I assume you are going to get the 4 vario guides in both banks changed before running it further :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back