Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crank position sensor broken HELP Please!

iainm198

Hi there, my first post here. I have got myself a 997.1 C2S cab. I had hot start problems and a crank position sensor code so I went in and have snapped off the top of the sensor as it was stuck fast in the bellhousing.
So now I can't start the car 😒
Has anyone had this? What did you do? I'm thinking of some long drill bits to drill it out but space is so tight down there.
Any help appreciated. 🙏 1000023933.jpg

that is not good, I've seen it recovered but that is when the engine was out and from the other side, that was a complete pain

this might or might not help

This has been covered just today on 9werks tv link attched. Seems this is common but I'm not sure if the engine has to be removed to get to it?

Thanks guys, it's a massive PITA!
I think ill try slotting the head and trying to turn it or drill it. Worse case it's gearbox off but I hope not. This car is fighting me.

Ian how did you get on? Im in the same situation, think the plastic of the sensor has welded to the alloy engine case. Thought of using a soldering iron to melt the plastic and pull the magnet?

Hey! So an update from the weekend, I did get the remaining broken sensor out but it was difficult and took me 7 hours.
After trying to pull on the remaining bit and trying to use an easy out socket I resorted to drilling.
I used a 90 degree drill attachment from Screwfix and some decent dewalt bits. Had to remove the rusty cross member to help access. I eventually got 2x 7mm holes in the remaining sensors. Even with that the sensor wouldn't budge so I ended up tapping the remains into the bell housing. By that point very little remained.
It was a nightmare as your drilling blind from underneath the car so I had someone directing me from the wheel area.
My advice..if you ever have the Box off then change the sensor regardless.

Glad you got it sorted even with the hours your quids in. Thanks for the screwfix 90degree drill head idea, will use this if my soldering iron does not work. What replacement sensor did you use? I brought a bosch part.

I got a Bosch one. The original that came off was also Bosch.
If you have to drill it out get some good bits. Some of mine didn't touch it!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeilHarbidge
Back