Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considerations: C4 vs C2 Tip --[UPDATE: Page 3]

My last 993 was a C2 tip, my current 993 is a C4 manual, if I were using a 993 daily then I'd have the tip, otherwise a manual, I find the C4 manual 'harder' to drive but much more rewarding, you have to concentrate !

Hi dorsal fin,

As an owner of both C4 and C2 Tip it seems you're very well positioned to answer some of my questions...

Firstly, what made you switch from the Tip to the C4 in the first place? What was the driving factor?

dorsal fin said:
I find the C4 manual 'harder' to drive but much more rewarding, you have to concentrate !

Secondly, can you please elaborate on 'harder'?

Finally, are you able to comment on point 3], from the previous page, regarding the pedal positions?

Many thanks.

Hi Chet,
If you want email me your phone number for a chat.
To be honest, and I'd probably upset some here, a tip is no where near the same driving experience over a manual, yes the manual needs more input and the peddles are all over the place, which you get used to easily. I'm 6'3" and don't have a problem driving. But if you want a air cooled 911 then a manual it has to be, I never really felt I was controlling the car with a tip gearbox, whereas with the manual it does what I want when I want ...... Put it this way, have you ever seen an automatic Caterham?? I've had a few of those and although the Caterham is fun then 993 is a grown up's car, last New Year's Day I took he mrs for a blat in the 7, then we went out in the 993, her answer ..... Ahhhh that's better, even though I drive the 993 quicker than a Caterham. I sold the 7 shortly afterwards, but I'm half on the lookout for another, and if anyone on here wants a deal for a few motorbikes for a 7 let me know ;)
Cheers
Peter

And 'harder' means you have to drive it, not just be a passenger ..., my next company car is a 5 series with 8 speed auto, a superb tool and very capable, just sit in it and point, a manual box air cooled 911 has to be driven, I've had 911's from a 2.0 swb, 3.0sc, 3.2 carrera, 964 c2, to the 993's, manuals are in my opinion the only choice, you have 2 arms and 2 legs .... Use em !

I had a TipS which was very capable and despite old auto technology worked very well in all driving conditions. The converter lock up can be disconcerting but actually acts like additional sub gears. If I was mainly city based Tip it would have to be, otherwise manual, which can be challenging on a cold engine and careful clutch balance on take off.

Re the leather. Compared to my 964 (C4 manual) the 993 leather is nowhere near as good. Mine whilst on 55k showed plenty of age related cracks but compared to my now older 964 leather with twice the mileage there is no comparison. You can of course have them reconditioned.

The hissing noise - could that be the 'sampling' fan in the HVAC unit behind the dash?

Hi

My Tip is an early 1994 car and it has the steering wheel buttons. I thought all 993's were "S" with the buttons on the wheel.

Personally I much prefer using the steering wheel controls to change gear.

I used to have a manual 964 and I can tell you I am faster in myTip, but that is because I was never much cop at swapping the cogs.

All the best

Berni

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back