Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2013 Porsche Cayenne 3.0TD With Tip or Tip S?

911Heaven

Trainee
Hi all, been a member for a while, and own a 996 already - C2, 2002 3.6L Facelift with Tip S (Turbo) gearbox. It is a great drive.

Of course the Tip S, or essentially just called Tip on these vehicles learns the drive with 250 settings etc.

I'm after a 2013 onwards Porsche Cayenne 3.0L TD also. Seen one with standard Tip, instead of Tip S.

There is not much opinion online about the drive at all, as to the differences between the the standard Tip and the S.

I know there are button shifters on the S, but I'm curious about the adaptive learning and if, on a 3.0L TD, the actual difference would be night and day.

I mean the car still has Sport mode which adapts the shifting patterns anyway.

My theory is that perhaps the V8 diesel or the petrol, turbos etc., would be a must have for the S rather than the 3.0L TD - and of course noting at some point, all cars were S.

What do you guys think? Or does the S make the base model engine thoroughly better?

Regards, Luke.

I had no idea the S in a Cayenne referred to the Tiptronic gearbox. People often try to sell 996's as a C2S, purely because it's called a Tiptronic S, but in a Cayenne, I thought it meant more than transmission. Certainly in the 955, the S is the non Turbo V8 4.5.

Mine is a 955 Turbo with E81 Powerkit, in some countries known as the Turbo WLS. The 6 speed Tiptronic in this definitely learns and adapts to driving style, as I used my PIWIS2 clone to wipe adaptations and let it re-learn. It was used as a Chelsea tractor before me and drives so much better now it's suited to my driving style.

Yes indeed! I do see that some Cayennes are in fact Cayenne Diesel S etc., and I think that's the V8.

Looks like the 250 setting adapative box is the way to go then! Seems it's not just for performance gains, but an all round better one.

With the Cayenne is just the same automatic transmission, it’s not like the Carrera range with the tip and tip S

The Cayenne v Cayenne S indicates a difference in engine power specification, the S of the 958.1 era being the v8

Cayenne Diesel 3.0 litre V6 v Cayenne S Diesel 4.2 litre V8

the S after tiptronic, Is to say the car has switches on the spokes of the steering wheel to change gear
so all 996 tiptronics are tiptronic S 's
a tiptronic gearbox is the same as a tiptronic S gearbox

the S after tiptronic, Is to say the car has switches on the spokes of the steering wheel to change gear
so all 996 tiptronics are tiptronic S 's
a tiptronic gearbox is the same as a tiptronic S gearbox
all Tiptronic Cayenne's has switches on the steering wheel

this was only for the 996 Carrera

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back